Qt Creator and Beyond Quick

Published Thursday May 6th, 2010 | by

As we’re now shipping the beta version of Qt 4.7 – I want to share a bit of our future product plans, including some changes we’re implementing. The Qt Quick journey so far has been pretty amazing, going from being a technology that few understood or embraced, to cautious optimism and more recently a more insatiable pull and momentum building up around the Alpha version we released back in March.

There are already a number of examples of how cool apps you can build with Qt Quick. For instance there is Ryan Paul’s RSS feed wall example:

Digia also built a complete Connected Car demo:

And, the Qt sources come with a huge number of examples and demos in $QTDIR/examples/declarative and $QTDIR/demos/declarative respectively. On the right is a screen-cast to show ze lazy ones, but in the Declarative UI category here on Labs you’ll also find a lot of Treats.

There are some brave souls out there as well, who recognize the value Qt Quick offers; allowing an exceptional level of differentiation in the User Experience – agile turnaround in the UI design and having designers and developers work tightly and effectively together – talking the same language and working in the same environment. We’ll see hands-on examples from these once they are ready to display their wares – but not yet; we’re preparing some awesome show-cases to feast on for the launch party.

As part of developing Qt Quick we have been working with our friends at Intel through MeeGo and with Nokia’s internal design groups. They have found that Qt Quick allows them to have a fluid transition from prototype to production code. But, bringing a new technology to market is always hard. Working with these teams has made it apparent that a visual editor needs to be exceptionally good to be useful to visual designers. Because of this it has been decided to just offer the visual editor as a technical preview till we can get it to reach the high standards we expect from ourselves, something that will happen later this year.

Quick Designer Preview
We would love for you to enable the Preview Qt Quick Designer, put it through it’s paces, and provide feedback as to how you would like to see it evolve – preferably as new suggestion tasks at bugreports using component ‘Qml Support’. But that’s not all the news about Qt Quick; we made Qt Creator ready for prime-time with added support for Qt Quick; New Qt Quick Project Wizard, QML Syntax Highlighting, QML Code completion, Documentation integration, Object Inspector and Integration with the qml launcher for ‘running’ QML files. So, if you’re a technical Graphic Designer or UX Engineer, you’ll find ample support in Qt Creator for the best thing since sliced bread!

To enter the Cult of QML, please sign up to the Qt QML mailing list at qt-qml@trolltech.com and join us on #qt-qml at irc.freenode.org!

Posted in Qt Quick, QtCreator

7 comments to Qt Creator and Beyond Quick

Kensai says:

Wow, I really love the new Design capabilities of Qt Creator. This will make collaboration between coders and artists a lot more easier.

Sreedhar says:

Hi,

I am trying to play Audio and video using QML Elements of Qt Creator

When i try to run this example it gives me a error

defaultServiceProvider::requestService(): no service found for -
“com.nokia.qt.mediaplayer”

What should i do to use Audio and Video QML Elements in Qt Creator

I am new to this Qt and QML.

Can anyone one help me out

Sandeep says:

Hi I am new to qt and qml both. I want to know that can we use open GL es 2.o with QML for mips Au1350.
If so how should we do that and how to write QML application using openGL es 2.0

Donald Carr says:

@Sandeep:

Yes, you can use QML in conjunction with OpenGL ES2 assuming your platform provides Khronos compliant drivers, and either you use X11 or you do the leg work to integrate QWS with the underlying vendor specific surface management APIs. You have 2 options:

1) Use the OpenGL ES 2 Arthur backend

QDeclarativeView foo;
foo.setViewport(new QGLWidget())
foo.setViewportUpdateMode(QGraphicsView::FullViewportUpdate)

(This pays major dividends when doing excessive blitting at high resolutions, or when doing transformations)

2) Or you can use a QML/pure shader code approach as shown in the qt3d demos:

The repo is here:

look at the code for teapot-shader-collapsing.qml for a wild time:

Sandeep says:

Hi thanks for the information. It really helped me.
But I still would like to know in detail that in option 1-
> you mentioned if we have to use opengl es then we have to integrate QWS with opengles.
Actually I am developing apps on mips32 target and GPU used is ARM-MALI 200 . It contains various shared libraries and khronos headers for opengles.
But when I try to configure qt 4.7 source code package with ./configure -embedded mips -opensource -qvfb option .
I am stuck at error EGL functionaity test failed.
- I tried manually editing qmake.conf file in mkspecs and provided path for libraries and include directories
Still I am stuck at this error.

Can anyone please help me how to buils and cross compile QT4.7 embedded for MIPS target.

#Also i would like to know about 2nd option: using QML/pure shaders:
Is this alternative to opengles.
Can we use to render 3d graphics and does it supports hardware acceleration?
If so how can we use them

anonym says:

any chance to download the movies … speed/latency to my hard-disc is far better than my VDSL line

What’s up, I want to subscribe for this webpage to obtain newest updates, thus where can i do it please help out.