Introducing MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan to the Qt SDK

Published Tuesday June 21st, 2011 | by

Today an update has been pushed to the Qt SDK providing the following content:

• Qt Creator 2.2.1: This is mainly a bug fix release. For more information, read the release blog here.
  • MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan: The Qt SDK now contains experimental toolchains and other experimental components to create MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan apps. This feature is available on all supported development platforms by the Qt SDK, meaning Microsoft Windows, Linux and MacOS X.

Please note that the support for MeeGo Harmattan is not fully completed yet, it is located inside the experimental section of the installer or updater. Hence support will not get installed automatically, on a fresh installation you need to select the custom mode and enable those components manually. Afterwards you will have everything set up and automatically registered to Qt Creator, including documentation and emulator images.

For those of you, who have a running instance of the Qt SDK already, open the SDK Maintenance tool and find the MeeGo Harmattan target inside the experimental selection and simply post-install it to your environment.

If you decide to download the offline installers, we want to inform you about a couple of updates here. Due to the amount of feedback we received on the size of the offline installers, we needed to remove some parts to keep the packages at the same size. So from now on, the offline installers will not contain any Visual Studio 2005 components anymore. Furthermore the N900 setup is not included. However, they are still available in the online installers. Also you can be postinstall those after using the offline installation.

Following here are the download links:

Platform Online Installer Offline Installer
Microsoft Windows 15MB 1.7GB
Linux 32bit 23MB 1.0GB
Linux 64bit 23MB 1.1GB
Mac OS-X 12MB 1.0GB

Those files are also available on the Nokia Developer webpages.

If you encounter any troubles, please file a bug report at: http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com to the according categories.

Update: Thank you for all the comments so far. We would like to point you to the release notes of the Harmattan target as well, as those contain some important information like solution to problems found so far.

Posted in MeeGo, Qt, Qt SDK, QtCreator

67 comments to Introducing MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan to the Qt SDK

QtRoS says:

Wow, nice! It contains emulator, Or need use QEMU?

Maurice Kalinowski says:

There is a QEMU with an according image included in the SDK.

kidproquo says:

Can’t wait to get my hands on the SDK (really can’t wait to get my hands on some hardware!).

I assume your servers are getting hammered at the moment because updating through the SDK updater is really slow. I’m at ~11% and I started pretty much as soon as the update became available.

Maurice Kalinowski says:

@kidproquo
Indeed, currently the servers are under heavy traffic and we haven’t even populated the updates to everywhere in the world. It might take some time for the distribution to happen, sorry about this.

QtRoS says:

Sry, but how I can receive n950?

Alistair Broomhead says:

Great work guys, although as someone who bought the n900 I’d be really interested in getting my hands on an n950 – any idea what channels I’d have to go through for a chance of this?

RF says:

SDK updater checks repository for too long time…about 20 mins..why??

Guido Seifert says:

QtRoS, Alistair Broomhead, it may help to participate in the Qt Ambassador program.

Thanks a lot, I’m very appreciated it.

rikrd says:

Yep! how can we get an n950 or an n9 to test out our apps on a real device?

Helex says:

A guide how to install this Qt SDK including the targets harmattan and N900 meego together using the offline installer with the MeeGo targets (MeeGo SDK 1.2) for handset und tablet UI ON THE SAME SYSTEM would be great.

Or simply a guide how to add the N900 maemo5 and harmattan targets to the MeeGo Qt SDK 1.2 would be a great convenience. I’m unable to get it working together!

baleboy says:

Great news! But on Mac OS X:

- downloaded the SDK
- installed with experimental Harmattan packages, including emulator
- created new Harmattan application project
- without changing any file, built and ran
- result: “:-1: error: Deployment failed: Qemu was not running. It has now been started up for you, but it will take a bit of time until it is ready.”

Does it work for anybody? Out of the box?

Paweł Kurdybacha says:

@baleboy: try to change Qt version from ‘Harmattan Platform API’ to ‘MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan API’ in Project’s properties (emulator start icon is enabled then), build and run project. When the emulator is ready try to run project again.

On my workstation qemu starting process takes ages…

Josman says:

Nokia N9 awesome Apps.I found no shgartoe of awesome choices in the Nokia Store. What has popped up in my must-have list of apps? Let’s dive in.Foursquare client: 4squick. I was very happy to see my favorite N8 Foursquare client 4squick in the Nokia Store for the N9. Being a Qt app, 4squick is cross-platform and runs fluidly on the N9. With 4squick, I can check-in to locations, see where friends are, responds to requests and even upload photos along with my check-ins.Podcast client: gPodder. I’m a huge podcast fan and like a typical American, I have plenty of time during my commute to listen to them. gPodder handles my podcasts, including subscribing, automatic downloads and upkeep of my nine or so favorite podcasts. gPodder supports YouTube and SoundCloud subscriptions, as well.Music while on the go: Spotify. Spotify, as I wrote last week, has a very capable app for the Nokia N9, with this application, I can easily download playlists for offline playback, view and add to my music inbox and consume all the music I want, because I have a premium subscription. Americans who have hopped on the Spotify bandwagon will love the N9 app.DropBox access: DropN9. DropBox is my cloud-based storage locker. I keep so many files in DropBox and it’s a great way to exchange images, music and videos with your mobile without having to use a USB cable or Bluetooth exchange. Check out DropN9 – a fully featured DropBox client for our MeeGo phone.Google Reader: NewsFlow. I’m an avid Google Reader user as RSS is my main way to keep up on the mobile universe. Mobile clients for Google Reader are hard to come by, so we’re lucky to have News Flow as a good Qt based option for news reading.Enrich your life: TED. TED videos are updated daily and every one brings a unique perspective or challenging viewpoint. TED hasn’t been forgotten about on the N9 and the TED application lists and gives useful summaries of each video. Then, playing the full video is a matter of a click.Find your car: Parking. When I go to my local mall, sometimes I lose track of my car. My wife bears with me and is a good sport, but it is annoying to forget where your car is. Parking serves three amazing uses: geo-tagging where your car is, finding your car, and a timer to help track how long you left on your meter.

Tsiolkovsky says:

I got this error on 64-bit GNU/Linux when I tried to run Qt Creator:

Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0×40703) with this library (version 0×40704)
Aborted

During installation of SDK I didn’t select to install Desktop Qt since I already have the latest version that is available (4.7.3). But this included Qt Creator appears to demand 4.7.4 which i can’t find, it’s not even in SDK package manager.

Eero Penttinen says:

To get a developer device – check http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/MeeGo/

Christian Kandeler says:

@baleboy:
I don’t quite understand what your exact problem is. Does Qemu not start up despite of what the message says?

Niels Weber says:

@Tsiolkovsky: Creator brings its own needed Qt libraries that you don’t need to select separately.
How do you try to start it, that error is weird.

Andrew Flegg says:

“try to change Qt version from ‘Harmattan Platform API’ to ‘MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan API’ in Project’s properties (emulator start icon is enabled then), build and run project”

This worked for me. Go to “Projects > Harmattan > Build > Edit build configuration” and click “Add”. Select “Using Qt Version MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan API (Qt SDK)”.

Click “Play” and qemu now starts. It is sloooooooow to boot, definitely – is that something that’s going to imprvove with time?

Vladimir says:

Absolutely impossible to work with this : the emulator is too slow.
Bad work.

Gianni says:

I’ve just updated my QtSDK 1.1 with updater…Is already included meego (because i really cannot view it in QtCreator)?

Gianni says:

@Tsiolkovsky: if you lunch it as root, your problem is clear

Niels Weber says:

@Gianni: You need to install it with the Maintenance tool, it is not shown as an update as it is still an experimental component.

minggangw says:

Hi, I install the Qt SDK 1.1.2 for windows, run the QEMU successfully, just a little slow. But when I create a project based on ‘MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan API’ , build and deploy it on QEMU, the error comes:
Killing remote process(es)…
Starting remote process …
chmod: /opt/helloword/bin/helloworld: No such file or directory
warning: aegisSessionOpen() – failed to open platsec device (ret=-1)
warning: aegisSessionOpen() – failed to open platsec device (ret=-1)
sh:
/opt/helloword/bin/helloworld: not found
Killing remote process(es)…
Finished running remote process. Exit code was 127.

It seems the exe can’t be found, any one meets this or can solve the problem?many thanks!

Christian Kandeler says:

@minggangw:
What is the deployment output (shown in the compile window)?

stuura says:

@minggangw: Whenever you are using Qt Creators default examples on Windows PC you need to comment out (or remove) following lines from .pro file:
target.path = $$[QT_INSTALL_EXAMPLES]/script/helloscript
sources.files = $$SOURCES $$HEADERS $$RESOURCES $$FORMS helloscript.pro
sources.path = $$[QT_INSTALL_EXAMPLES]/script/helloscript

Then you should be able to deploy application into Qemu.

stuura says:

@Andrew Flegg: You can try following to speed up Qemu (at least little bit) if you have powerful (nVidia) graphics card installed.
Get latest display graphics card drivers and install them. If they support OpenGL 1.3 then set one environment variable:
In Linux: export DGLES2_BACKEND=glx
In Windows: Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> select Advanced tab -> Environment Variables and create new System variable: DGLES2_BACKEND and set the value as wgl

minggangw says:

@stuura
Thanks! I comment out these lines and deploy successfully,like below. But when I clicked the app icon on the emulator, nothing happened, do you know why?
=============================================================
Running build steps for project collidingmice…
Configuration unchanged, skipping qmake step.
Starting: “C:qtsdkmaddebinmake.exe” -w
make: Entering directory `/c/QtSDK/Examples/4.7/graphicsview/collidingmice’
make: Nothing to be done for `first’.
make: Leaving directory `/c/QtSDK/Examples/4.7/graphicsview/collidingmice’
The process “C:qtsdkmaddebinmake.exe” exited normally.
Package up to date.
All files up to date, no installation necessary.
===========================================================

Tapasendra Datta says:

How to communicate with serial port?

Carlos says:

I have installed the update and the experimental support. Then I compiled a Qt example for Harmattan and Meego, but the icon is always grayed out.
I have tried it in Windows XP, what should I do?

Thanks in advance

Carlos says:

I have made it work!!

I have deleted the configuration and created a new one. It crashed with the default option of “Auto-detect” in OpenGL mode. Now I have it in “Hardware acceleration”, but it is very slow. I don’t think that it’s hardware accelerated. I have a Nvidia GTX 285, what should I do to enable hw acceleration?

Cheers

Zark says:

What is the Q_OS_* that can be used in the .cpp/.h files? And the keyword for .pro files? I’d like to use the same code base for Harmattan/Symbian/Android.

Amit says:

@Carlos Install correct OpenGl driver for the hardware you have.

Yuvraaj Kelkar says:

Where do I file a bug? I’m getting the following error when I try a compilation:

c:/QtSDK/Madde/sysroots/harmattan-nokia-meego-arm-sysroot-1122-slim/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qstring.h:1024: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report, with preprocessed source if appropriate.

AAA says:

Any plans to support Qt lightweight simulator for harmattan qt components? QEMU is unusable and slow…

Hey I am eagerly waiting for the MeeGo 2.1 first device to come in the market. Can anyone tell me When Nokia N9 will be in the market?

Pilar Castro says:

Why this version do not include Qt Mobility 1.2 to use NFC? I am developing application for C7 and the version of Qt SDK is 1.1.3, and this version dont include NFC, really dont include Connectivity.

Tommy says:

I prefer to use the Qt libraries from the application VIM through the Terminal.app. But when I install the Qt SDK 1.1.2, the libraries are not updated. Is that a flaw in the installation? Or is the new libraries (installed through the Qt SDK 1.1.2-installer) only available with Qt Creator?

P.S.: I solved my problem by installing the libraries alone.

I have a nagging feeling that I eventually will have to leave my beloved VIM for Qt Creator! Is that the case?

Carlos says:

@Amit, thanks for your advice. I’ve tried it (although I had a quite modern drivers). Now, with hardware acceleration, QEMU crashes :(

I hope that the trolls can improve the stability.

Niels Weber says:

@Tommy: Creator offers a vi mode, maybe you want to give that a try?

Helmuth says:

Is there somewhere a Offline Installer including the maemo targets?

I’m unable to update the SDK later. I need a Offline version because I have no internet access at my development system. (only via USB stick and 4km to drive) Otherwise I would use the normal Online installer.

I thought install the SDK offline is the reason for a offline installer? :)

Tk says:

I’m able to build and run normal Qt apps on the QEMU, but when I try examples from the Meego touch framework it doesn’t build. Has anyone managed to use the MTF apis in their apps?

Newbie says:

Hello, everyone. I am deploying my app to a MeeGo emulator, but the dialog box just does not seem to show up on it. It says the build is successful, and the application output reads:
Killing remote process(es)…
Starting remote process …
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
bash: /usr/local/bin/temp-convert: cannot execute binary file
Killing remote process(es)…
Finished running remote process. Exit code was 126.

I am following this tutorial (http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/meego-development-your-first-application) word for word, but I really seem to be having a tough time deploying the app.

Newbie says:

Any help would be really appreciated :)

stuura says:

@Newbie

You have to start Qemu first from “Start Maemo Emulator” button (it is located down corner on the left side of Qt Creator window). If it is not active (you can not see any colors in it) you have to change target to “Meego 1.2 Harmattan API….” first. This can be done by clicking that button above “Run” button and select build as “Meego 1.2 Harmattan API….”.

Btw. did you remember to select “custom” installation and selected “Experimental” components to be installed also when you installed Qt SDK?

stuura says:

@Tk

Can you, please, be more specific?

But anyway, Have you tried to add “CONFIG += meegotouch” line into .pro file?

stuura says:

@Newbie

I forgot to say that when you are creating a new project you have to select “Harmattan” target from the “Target Setup” page.

stuura says:

@minggangw

Do small change into some source file. Insert for example one comment line into main.cpp file and click run button again. It should do the trick.

Hi to all!

I have finished last nighr to develop a native Qt for Meego application: not a porting but a “pages” architecture managed under Qt that “swipe” with a great user experience. Compliments for the new idea that in some way takes the best from the actual wide scenario and has some element of real innovation.

I have a doubt: what is the differene between Harmattan Platform API and MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan API in the project option? As a matter of fact these two modes seems the same and works almost identically on the emulator (and on the N950 too but I am not 100% sure)

Cheers.

Hi again. Diferent theme, another comment :)

For those guys that ask about updating / upgrading their currend Qt sdk with the experimental components for the new platform. As wrote in many places on Qt dev net pages the best in these cases is a fresh installation. For several reason I am using more Qt sdk environment on the same computer and I have adopted the same strategy for Windows, Linux and Mac machines with great results. To develop with beta versions of Qt a separate installation is the best choice.

Marian Hello says:

I would like to add Meego Harmattan toolchain to my existing QtSDK (Maemo). I successfully installed Meego Harmatan API, Harmattan Platform API, but I cannot install Harmattan Emulator. SDK Maintenance tool reports about 23% progress:
My OS is Ubuntu 10.04.

Could not fetch archives: Could not verify Hash
Error while loading http://nds2.fds-forum.nokia.com/nokiaqtsdkrepository/fremtiden/linux/x32/online_qtsdk_repo/com.nokia.ndk.experimental.harmattan.runtime/0.2011.22-5harmattan-runtime.7z

Marian Hello says:

I’ve tried to compile experimental Harmattan project in QtCreator (part of QtSDK) Ubuntu 10.04, and always get error:

[CODE]
make: Entering directory `/home/mauro/dev/harmattanqt-build-harmattan’
g++ -c -pipe -fPIC -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -O2 -g -Wno-psabi -fPIC -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -I/usr/include/applauncherd -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_DECLARATIVE_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/opt/QtSDK/Madde/sysroots/harmattan-nokia-meego-arm-sysroot-1122-slim/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++-maemo -I../harmattanqt -I/opt/QtSDK/Madde/sysroots/harmattan-nokia-meego-arm-sysroot-1122-slim/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/opt/QtSDK/Madde/sysroots/harmattan-nokia-meego-arm-sysroot-1122-slim/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/opt/QtSDK/Madde/sysroots/harmattan-nokia-meego-arm-sysroot-1122-slim/usr/include/qt4/QtDeclarative -I/opt/QtSDK/Madde/sysroots/harmattan-nokia-meego-arm-sysroot-1122-slim/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I../harmattanqt -I. -o main.o ../harmattanqt/main.cpp
../harmattanqt/main.cpp:1: fatal error: QtGui/QApplication: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
[/CODE]

I realized that g++ has problem with such a long includes paths. So I’ve had symlinked includes directories to shorter paths. And Madde is compiling again. Anybody same problem?

Amit says:

@Marian

Comment these lines under install in .pro file and then try to build

target.path =
sources.files =
sources.path =

Tk says:

@stuura: yes, I have the “CONFIG += meegotouch” in the .pro file. I’m basically trying to compile the helloworld example from the MTF examples. It complains about not being able to find the libraries “undefined reference to…”

Nikos Gerontidis says:

The installation was smooth for me.

Testing and debugging was awful . QEMU is very slow.

Anyone tried the tutorial for setting up Meego Harmattan under Scratchbox in the link that follows ?

Pecu says:

I’m having issues with the Harmattan target, everytime I try to run the emulator I get the following error: “Qemu finished with error: Exit code was 1.” Any ideas what might be wrong? I’m trying this on Win 7 laptop (Dell E6500), the same happens regardless of what I put in the Qemu settings for the OpenGL mode.

tpunagan says:

Pecu:
If you have already launched qemu then you get the error code which you have mentioned. Make sure that qemu which is running is launched from inside qtcreator as if qemu is launched manually outside qtcreator, then qtcreator cannot communicate with qemu. In that situation when you try to launch qemu from inside qtcreator then you encounter the error.

Pecu says:

tpunagan, thanks for the advice. But unfortunately I wasn’t able to solve the situation based on that. I didn’t see any Qemu processes in win task manager process list. Also tried closing down qtcreator, launch it again and then hit the ‘Start Maemo Emulator’ button, same error still…

MOS says:

@stuura
target.path = $$[QT_INSTALL_EXAMPLES]/script/helloscript
sources.files = $$SOURCES $$HEADERS $$RESOURCES $$FORMS helloscript.pro
sources.path = $$[QT_INSTALL_EXAMPLES]/script/helloscript

Then you should be able to deploy application into Qemu.

What do the code mean ?

stuura says:

@Pecu:

http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/latitude-e6500/pd says that E6500 model can have NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 160M4 256MB DDR34 or Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD4 graphics card. Which one do you have? Here is pretty useful tool to check which OpenGL versions are supported http://www.afterdawn.com/software/system_tools/system_information/opengl_extensions_viewer.cfm . Try this and let me know the result and name and type of the used graphics card. I think there shouldn’t be any problem if you use nVidia’s graphics card.

tpunagan says:

@MOS:

If you don’t comment the mentioned lines then executable on host and executable on device will have the same path. (check under project – run settings). For ex. if executable on host is like the path to ur mentioned project on ur c: then executable on device will have same path like c:…. which is not available in device.

Commenting those lines will make the path on device to be more generic like /opt …

Ihope this answers ur question.

kettu says:

I have had quite a few problems with qt sdk – emulator deployment and with qemu. For some background i’ve got few years old windows xp laptop (lenovo t61) – which is not anymore the state of the art.

1. Emulator deployment was failing because the project was located in a folder that did contain spaces in the path. It seemed like the paths were not properly back slashed or quated – for some commands they were but not for all. I think default project directory was somewhere in home folder in “documents and settings”.

2. qemu kept constantly crashing in the middle of the boot or few minutes later. Installing Simulator – mingw helped the issue (at first I had installed Simulator – MSVC2008).

3. Now when qemu seems rather stable, I find it really annoyingly slow even if I have the hardware acceleration enabled. I’m still trying to figure out the reason and cure for this issue – maybe a new laptop.

I had a bit higher hopes to start trying this (qt sdk) out, but hopefully this kind of issues get fixed if windows is going to be supported – i guess that windows is not the default development platform :) .

stuura says:

@kettu

This installer does not support Windows XP. Windows 7 only. This means that you can try to install it into XP but there is no guarantee that it works on XP.

Yes, Qemu is quite slow at the moment. You can try to speed it up little bit with OpenGL hardware acceleration (for example if you have nVidia’s graphics card installed. See earlier posts.), but don’t expect too much.

kettu says:

@stuura
thanks for your reply. The installer finished fine, i thought that the spaces in project path might have been general win32 issue in “harmattan application” deployment scripts. But I cant be sure about that whether it works in win7 or not.

I did try the hint given here for opengl hw acceleration, but sadly for my computer it seems to be still unusable slow.

Hopefully something can be done for that qemu performance. :)

stuura says:

@kettu

This “spaces in project path” issue is toolchain related issue and the behavior is the same also on Windows 7 operating system.

Nuno Alcoforado says:

Hello, is there any release that includes the mobility API for Desktop ?