Qt 4.8.0 Release Candidate available

Published Thursday October 13th, 2011 | by

Qt 4.8.0 RC1 is now available for download as an online update via the Qt SDK. It also includes the QtWebKit 2.2.0, see http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/09/29/qtwebkit-2-2-0-is-released/ for more details.

This release candidate has the quality stabilised code targeted to be the basis for the final Qt 4.8.0.

For those using the public git repository, a “v4.8.0-rc1″ tag will appear soon.

If you would like to provide feedback, you can do so using the Qt Bug Tracker. If you want to contribute code, documentation or autotests to Qt, all the information you need to get started can be found at qt.nokia.com.

Other things of note:
* Ubuntu 10.04 has been used to build the Qt 4.8 binaries in QtSDK for Linux due to new dependencies – updated from Ubuntu 8.04 that has been the version used previously
* There are also separate packages available for download from the Qt Prereleases Download Page. Source packages (.zip and .tar.gz format) and binary packages (for Mac: Cocoa, Windows: MinGW 4.4.0, Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010) are available
* Symbian experimental and official targets for Qt4.8 are to be made available for a later release in due course according to the Symbian device plans

Posted in Qt, Qt SDK

50 comments to Qt 4.8.0 Release Candidate available

Joe says:

Perfect! congratulations…You are heroes!

Lauri W Ahonen says:

Do we finally get PDB files for the Qt DLLs? Please?

No link to the changelog?
And http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.8/ still says “what’s new in Qt 4.7″

Janton says:

Does this mean Qt 4.8.0 will be launched soon? i can’t wait :)
If i look into Qt 4.7.0 Release Candidate available and the final release it was 1 month between..
if i look into Qt 4.6.0 Release Candidate 1 and the final release was less then a month…

WOEHOEE!!

Vigen says:

Qt Commercial 4.8 RC – Qt Commercial Customers Get It Now
Download Qt Commercial 4.7.4 from your Qt Commercial Support Portal: http://qt.digia.com/customerportal. Remember to give us feedback to the release in the portal.

Have a look at the Qt Commercial 4.8 RC release notes here.

The final release of Qt Commercial 4.8 will be available before the end of the year. Stay tuned.

mike7b4 says:

“Symbian experimental and official targets for Qt4.8 are to be made available for a later release in due course according to the Symbian device plans”

What about Harmattan (Nokia N9)!?!?

Scorp1us says:

I too would like a Changelog. I am not sure what all Qt 4.8 includes… Qt3D?

Lilian says:

mike7b4, forget about it, if an Official tells you that they don’t plan to support it why would u care about it?
I don’t understand why still so much concentration on mobiles(Symbian), it’s a dead end… Ok, not if u can get it working on iOS and Android without any problem, but anyway, why not concentrate now on Desktop more?

Scorp1us says:

I did find this:

But it looks like a laundry list of misc enhancements and not any large new feature sets?

Antti Rajaniemi says:

@Joe
Thanks! :-)

@Olivier Goffart @Scorp1us
The high level featurelist for Qt4.8 was already published with the Beta: http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/07/19/qt-4-8-beta-released/

And yes, http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.8/ still needs some updates.

techabc says:

maybe a bug?
I installed qt-win-opensource-4.8.0-rc1-vs2010.exe, but the QT prompt set QMAKESPEK as “win32-msvc2003″ NOT as “win32-msvc2010″.

BogDan Vatra says:

Congratulations !

“For those using the public git repository, a “v4.8.0-rc1″ tag will appear soon.”
There is no “v4.8.0-rc1″ tag :(, how long is soon ? :)

Antti Rajaniemi says:

@Lauri
The debug pdbs should be included in the binary packages.

@techabc
Yes, that is a bug. Looks like some installer configs were missed when being updated for msvc2010 so it defaults to msvc2003 in that case :-/ It is a proper msvc2010 build but the Qt prompt has the wrong QMAKESPEC.

wc says:

I had to modify the following line to build on OSX (Lion) against Carbon:
qfontengine_mac.mm[372]: return stringToCMap(str, len, glyphs, nglyphs, flags, /*logClusters=*/0, /*charAttributes=*/0, 0);
to add the extra param — looks like the argument changed in the other stringToCMap call?

wc says:

Also had to modify (so far):
qfontdatabase_mac.cpp[254]: static QFontEngine *loadFromDatabase(QFontDef &req, const QFontPrivate *d)
to make the req non-const
qfontdatabase_mac.cpp[305]: return new QFontEngineMacMulti(familyRef, fontRef, req, d->kerning);
to return args in the correct order (and rename a var that wasn’t even named correctly)

I take it Carbon on OSX isn’t really supported any more? :(

Antti Rajaniemi says:

@wc
Yes, that is correct. Carbon has been removed from the supported list from our perspective as Cocoa support is now fully in place. Also Mac OS X 10.5 has no longer been verified by us as it has been replaced by 10.7 (Lion) on the supported list.

Lauri W Ahonen says:

@Antti, I’m looking for PDBs for _release_ DLLs. I don’t want to deploy debug versions for everyone just to be able to handle winqual dumps properly. Are they included?

Antti Rajaniemi says:

@Lauri
Ok, thanks for the clarification. The pdbs for release DLLs are not being included at the moment.

Antti Rajaniemi says:

@BogDan Vatra
Now :-)

Lauri W Ahonen says:

@Antti,

Why not? I can’t be the only one who does post-mortem debugging to keep the product quality up.

Philippe says:

@Lauri
Rebuilt Qt yourselves, and edit the vcproj you need. This is simple.

Lauri W Ahonen says:

Recompiling Qt to include debug files is super simple, just need to edit the mkspec and copy the compiler params from QMAKE_CFLAGS_RELEASE_WITH_DEBUGINFO to QMAKE_CFLAGS_RELEASE and from QMAKE_LFLAGS_RELEASE_WITH_DEBUGINFO to QMAKE_LFLAGS_RELEASE.

My point is, why must I do this manually? Is there some harm in generating the debug info during the official builds?

Petr Houdson says:

I’m with @Lauri here.

We use google breakpad(1) and socorro(2) to make crash reports from our clients, so, for every Qt release we have to rebuild it to generate the debug files in release mode. Why not make it available for the rest of us?

I think Nokia is generating debug files in release mode to generate Qt Creator crash report so, some way or another, this is already done somewhere… Also some work was done in Qt to include options to build in release mode and generate debug information (without having to make the “hack” that Lauri says) but I haven’t found any information about this… http://developer.qt.nokia.com/forums/viewthread/8733

(1) http://code.google.com/p/google-breakpad/
(2) https://github.com/mozilla/socorro

Oliver Knoll says:

Great news – but why not spread it on qt-interest mailing list anymore? Or did I just miss it there?

Cheers

Sinan Tanilkan says:

@Oliver: Thanks for the feedback.

Razvi says:

The sample browser from exampleswebkitfancybrowser cannot be statically built anymore with Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 7. I get strange linker errors. I generated the projects.sln solution and I loaded this solution in VS2010 but when I rebuild the fancybrowser project I get 8 linker errors.

Could you please report this or let me know where to report it?

Razvi says:

It seems that sometimes in some compilation modules of the webcore library project Q_CORE_EXPORT and Q_XMLSTREAM_EXPORT are defined as __declspec( dllimport ) even if it a static build and these macros should be defined as empty.

LiuXiaoqin says:

Build QT Using Windosws SDK 7.1 (Windows 7 With SP1, Simple Chinese edition):
DefaultLocalizationStrategy.cpp : “error C2001: newline in constant”
Modified the line : return WEB_UI_STRING(“Look Up “””, “Look Up context menu item with selected word”).replace(“”, truncatedStringForLookupMenuItem(selectedString));
so it can continue to build, but I dont know what and is it right when running …

LiuXiaoqin says:

Sorry , build error occured int line 327 of DefaultLocalizationStrategy.cpp

Philippe says:

Congratulations from a desktop user… for the Mac, this is the must-have version. My application which was barely usable in Cocoa because of:
now completly flies… :-)

demo says:

If you hurry up, you can still release a version actually supporting VS2010 before an upcoming new version of VS2011… sad :S

Wojtek Cierpucha says:

@demo: I’ve had no problems building and using Qt 4.7.x with VC10. Maybe it isn’t in Qt’s Tier 1, but it is definitely working very well.

Antti Rajaniemi says:

@Lauri @Petr
The current packaging is a compromise between size and functionality, so debug DLLs have pdbs while release ones do not. We will look into it, but cannot promise that it will improve in the near future.

@Razvi
Please see http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/QtWebKitBugs for QtWebKit bug reporting

@LiuXiaoqin
Please file a bug via http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/

@Philippe
Thanks, good to hear that the performance has improved :-)

Lauri W Ahonen says:

If size is an issue, I can happily download the pdb files in a separate zip :)

tonnot says:

I like qt & ct creator very much. I use it for a months with mingw .
Now, I’d be happy to use qt + qt creator + win sdk (not visual c++ ##)
I have spent 2 days trying to setup qt. I have not toolchains. I’m unable to setup any debugger.
What sdk I have to get ? I dont know if the reason of all is that I have not a correct sdk.
Have you setup a right environment for this case? (only ms sdk )
Can you help me ? Can you help us ? I’m sure that there is a lot of people with the same problem.
A brief tut. step-by-step would be needed.
Thanks.

Chris Adams says:

@tonnot: regarding debugging on Windows, have you seen http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtcreator-snapshot/creator-debugger-engines.html

Obviously, to use Qt Creator to build applications, you will need a toolchain (compiler/linker) and msvc2008 express edition is free and very good.

JubiluM says:

Is there a reason for the documentation shipping with the SDK not having a reference page like there is in an online version of the documentation http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.8-snapshot/index.html ? It used to be there, SDK’s from 2010 contain it. What is the reason for removal?

Also, the latest reference: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.8-snapshot/index.html is not visually as clear as was for example: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/index.html . Also some entry’s for tools have been removed, some are left there (for example links to qmake and Qt Designer have been removed.

It would be great to see the documentation quality stabilized.

Petr Houdson says:

@Antti
I’m with @Lauri too, we’ll be very happy to download them in a separate and simple .zip. From our point of view it’s a “little thing” for you to do but very very valuable to us.

You already do something similar for Mac releasing the debug files in a separate download (I know it’s not exactly the same).

Thanks for your time Antti! :-)

MedEx says:

I started the project from example multicast receiversender. Sending works,Receiver does not work…no packets to receive!

René says:

Which Visual Studio patch level is used for your pre-compiled Qt4.8.0-rc1 packages? I’m using VS2010 with Service Pack 1 that updates the Visual C++ Compiler from 10.0.30319.1 to 10.0.40219.1. So, when it comes to deployment, I’m providing my Qt-based application together with the corresponding Microsoft C++ Runtime for VS2010 SP1. Is this compatible to your pre-compiled VS2010 binaries of Qt4.8.0-rc1?

Antti Rajaniemi says:

@René
The pre-compiled VS2010 binaries have been built with 16.00.30319.01.

aaa says:

I have a lot of problems with the new QtWebkit library – it sometimes scales images pixelated and sometimes not (randomly). Is it final version or is there a newer version somewhere?

ahmed says:

I do not know why Qt team adds support for VS 2010 and neglected gcc 4.5 and 4.6. Is it because switching the code model to Clang, implies that do not permit code in the standard installation packages that will conflict with Clang (lambda expressions). When we might see compiler upgrades for mingw that is shipped with Qt SDK ? Why not having a separate tool chain ?

kevinb says:

@ahmed : Depends on you, but building Qt,QtWebKit and so on with gcc 4.6 on windows isn’t problematic (because Qt is such a beautiful piece of software).
Even gcc 4.6 on windows is not offcially supported, this is not such hassle, like you tend to mean. Cheers :) !

Jim Marshall says:

When I run macdeployqt, I get the following error messages:

~/git/SleepyHeadQT-build-desktop $ macdeployqt SleepyHead.app
ERROR: “strip: object: /Users/Jimbo/git/SleepyHeadQT-build-desktop/SleepyHead.app/Contents/PlugIns/bearer/libqgenericbearer.dylib.dSYM/Contents/Resources/DWARF/libqgenericbearer.dylib truncated or malformed object (offset field plus size field of section 0 in LC_SEGMENT_64 command 2 extends past the end of the file)

ERROR: “”
ERROR: “strip: object: /Users/Jimbo/git/SleepyHeadQT-build-desktop/SleepyHead.app/Contents/PlugIns/imageformats/libqgif.dylib.dSYM/Contents/Resources/DWARF/libqgif.dylib truncated or malformed object (offset field plus size field of section 0 in LC_SEGMENT_64 command 2 extends past the end of the file)

ERROR: “”
ERROR: “strip: object: /Users/Jimbo/git/SleepyHeadQT-build-desktop/SleepyHead.app/Contents/PlugIns/imageformats/libqico.dylib.dSYM/Contents/Resources/DWARF/libqico.dylib truncated or malformed object (offset field plus size field of section 0 in LC_SEGMENT_64 command 2 extends past the end of the file)

ERROR: “”
ERROR: “strip: object: /Users/Jimbo/git/SleepyHeadQT-build-desktop/SleepyHead.app/Contents/PlugIns/imageformats/libqjpeg.dylib.dSYM/Contents/Resources/DWARF/libqjpeg.dylib truncated or malformed object (offset field plus size field of section 0 in LC_SEGMENT_64 command 2 extends past the end of the file)

ERROR: “”
ERROR: “strip: object: /Users/Jimbo/git/SleepyHeadQT-build-desktop/SleepyHead.app/Contents/PlugIns/imageformats/libqmng.dylib.dSYM/Contents/Resources/DWARF/libqmng.dylib truncated or malformed object (offset field plus size field of section 0 in LC_SEGMENT_64 command 2 extends past the end of the file)

ERROR: “”
ERROR: “strip: object: /Users/Jimbo/git/SleepyHeadQT-build-desktop/SleepyHead.app/Contents/PlugIns/imageformats/libqtiff.dylib.dSYM/Contents/Resources/DWARF/libqtiff.dylib truncated or malformed object (offset field plus size field of section 0 in LC_SEGMENT_64 command 2 extends past the end of the file)

ERROR: “”
~/git/SleepyHeadQT-build-desktop $

I’ve never seen these before. How to resolve these problems?

Jim Marshall says:

Please disregard my immediately preceding post. My QtSDK setup somehow was corrupted. I solved the problem by completely uninstalling and then reinstalling the latest SDK, choosing only 4.8.0 RC. Perhaps not the easiest solution, but the only one I could figure out. I suspect the updates about a week ago caused the corruption, but that is a guess because I cannot think of anything else that changed.

Jim Marshall says:

Screenshots are still black on Lion using 4.8.0 RC, even though several related bug reports have been closed.

ptindall says:

Looking for the Windows 4.8.0 RC1 SDK in the online installer, but don’t see them. Did they get pulled from the SDK updater?

ptindall says:

I just noticed the link to the pre-release download page a bit further down in the post. It looks like what I need is there.