New QML demos for Qt 5

Published Tuesday July 17th, 2012 | by

The QML core team down under gained a new friend for Qt 5. We finally have the privilege of working with a designer in our team and he’s been helping us in our quest to make QML the most designer friendly UI language. We have created a small video to show you the latest apps and games from our team. But remember that videos aren’t the main point of Qt demos, the source code for these demos is all available from qt-project.org and it’s BSD licensed. I’ll even sprinkle links throughout this post to show the code behind all the new features that have me excited.

First have a look at our new calculator demo, Calqlatr, which has been restyled like the other demos. From its humble few hundred LoC beginnings, SameGame is also looking like a real application now. The new particle effects look even better, and you have your choice of four game modes. This includes a mode that loads preset levels, also written in QML.

QML demos are really easy to modify and play with; SameGame selects a new theme per game mode already, so you can try out your own samegame designs with ease. We also have a new game, “Maroon in Trouble”, with an underwater theme inspired by the rich life at the Great Barrier Reef. The game is highly customizable with the towers implemented in QML, both for their appearance and their gameplay attributes.

When you watched the video of “Maroon in Trouble”, you’ll notice that it avails itself of some of the new visual embellishments available in QtQuick 2. The particle system allows for bubbles and clouds to float all over the screen, while the new sprite elements made the game piece animations trivial to implement. As a bonus, the game has sound effects if you have the QtMultimedia module installed – a benefit of the modularization work in Qt 5.

The new visual effects aren’t just for games though. The completely redesigned twitter search app, TweetSearch, uses sprites and shaders for much more subtle designs. The central logo has a touch of animation to keep the main screen from being static, and the rotating bars use a custom ShaderEffect to get that three dimensional look (although you could use the Qt3D module instead). It also uses view transitions to populate in a more fluid fashion.

If you still can’t get the beautiful effects you want with all these new visual elements, QtQuick 2 also introduces the Canvas element for imperative painting. Especially good for graphing data, see it in action with the new StocQt stock chart viewer example.

The QML core team is really proud of how well QtQuick 2 has developed. This is especially true since modules from the other Brisbane teams, like the team behind QtMultimedia, are finally inside Qt after the modularization efforts. I hope that our demos help launch other developers to write even better games and apps.

Bookmark and Share

Posted in Qt Quick 2.0 | Tags: , ,

14 comments to New QML demos for Qt 5

Koh says:

Thanks for your great work. cheers.

rocjohn says:

Very good news!

vladest says:

what device was used for the demo?

Cedric says:

Thank you for this great post.

The link for level0.qml is down.

Other links are working fine.

Jorge Corona says:

I like the demos and that you guys are now using sprites and canvas, which is very similar to that of Windows 7 Pivots (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/stephanc/archive/2010/05/09/windows-phone-7-pivot-control-sample.aspx). Good work.

Alan Alpert says:

@Cedric Link for level0.qml is fixed, thanks for mentioning it.

@vladest A Mac computer was used for running the demos in the video (and producing the video). However, QML demos have been designed to be HVGA sized so that they can fit on almost any device you may wish to run QML demos on.

anton says:

Just another question,

what’s about the next sdk version, I heard it came out some weeks after 4.8.2

… but now some months are passed and nothing new.

Did the team get fired (I heard that nokia plans to decrease the number of employees)?

dude says:

I’m looking for a tablet that I can use with QML (not Android based). Is there anything you can recommend?
I need GPS, 3G and Bluetooth and, if possible, a sunlight readable 7-10 inch display.

DA says:

this is really good!!!!

but I have one question:

I´m qt developer and a nokia publisher, this version of QT could be in the nokia phones? because I make 3 games in QT Quick 1.1 for nokia store but QT 5 is more powerfull and I want to know it.

Thanks

this is really nice!!!
very gooood

I went to try it when the complete version release!!! we are wait for that

Victor Bravo says:

amazing work! congratulations.

Ferz says:

Looking good!

Qt5 could really be the killer framework for mobile development.

I’d love to use this in production (as I do on with Qt the desktop) but with no planned official support for Android and iOs I simply can’t afford to maintain two or three codebases in different languages. Oh, and there is also windows phone 7 (and maybe 8?) which will not be supported (which is a scandal).
Unfortunately a lot of important new platforms arose and the “crossplatform” in Qt is not here anymore to save us from duplicating code.

Again, thank you for this amazing work, I really hope I will have the chance to play with it.

Roberto Campos says:

QT has begun as a cross-plataform development tool for desktops. And should continue to be this, because it seems that a cross-plataform proposal isn’t possible for Smartphones, yet. I would not use QT to develop for mobile devices because it doesn’t allow iOS or Android programming. For a small developer, time is money…. iOS and Android are money… and Nokia isn’t a good bet. Nokia should re-think the way it uses intelectual resources for QT development.

yyyy says:

Thank you very much, the results of Qt always amazing.

>Nokia should re-think the way it uses intelectual resources for QT development.
Nokia already give up on Qt, the best bet for now is Qt could find a good home