Qt Creator 2.6.0 RC released

Published Wednesday October 17th, 2012 | by

Qt Creator 30 Days Created vs Resolved

The last 5 weeks we concentrated on fixing lots of bugs in preparation of the 2.6.0 release. About 380 changes have gone into 2.6 since the beta release and the “Created vs Resolved Chart” of our bug tracker looks very nice ;)

The move to the Qt Project infrastructure for building our packages is also progressing nicely, with the result that the release candidate now also comes with installers for Windows and Linux again (not needed for Mac). Please report any issues you find with the installer on bugreports.qt-project.org, project “Qt Creator”, component “Installer”. Please also report any other issues you find with this release there, of course.

If you didn’t follow the 2.6.0 beta release, you might want to read the beta blog post, which gives an overview of the new features.

Download (Change log)

Note to Mac OS X Mountain Lion users: The application is not signed yet, to open it you need to right click and select “Open” from the context menu the first time you run it.

Bookmark and Share

Posted in Qt, QtCreator

30 comments to Qt Creator 2.6.0 RC released

Greg says:

Good work!

I always have a error message with this line:
QList<QList*> fileLists { &this->filesWithoutHashesPrioritized, &this->filesWithoutHashes };

Qt Creator says: “expected token `;’ got `{‘. It compiles fine with GCC 4.6 (C++11 enabled).

Greg says:

It seems some characters was removed from the C++ line of my last comment, here is the right line :

Greg says:

Event this blog doesn’t like my line ;) , I put it here: https://gist.github.com/3907996

Gurudutt Verma says:

Hi
Sorry for late notice , if you see any issue please add issue here : https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTWEBSITE

I am checking this issue and will get back as soon I fix it.

Eike Ziller says:

hi Greg, a bugreport on bugreports.qt-project.org would be appreciated, so we can track this issue

André says:

@Greg: Support for brace initializers went into the code base after the feature freeze for Qt Creator 2.6, so it won’t be part of the 2.6 release. But you can checkout the master branch from git://gitorious.org/qt-creator/qt-creator.git and build it yourself. It works there.

Borut says:

Android is not supported in this release?

Scorp1us says:

So is there an overwrite mode in the editor? I seriously don’t know how you guys live without it. I don’t use it often, but when I do, it’s a godsend.

Eike Ziller says:

@Borut: In principle it is, but the plugin is not enabled by default (Help > About Plugins to turn it on). The Necessitas developers recommend the use of the Necessitas SDK for Android development though, their Qt Creator has a few more fixes that are not upstreamed (at least no yet)

Yenni says:

I love your new ‘look’!! Very nice layout. Hope that you have a great wenkeed!! Halloween is fun to decorate for, but we live in a more rural area and haven’t had a single trick or treater in about 7 years. :/ All that poor candy left over every year…can’t let THAT go to waste. ;)

7 says:

@Eike Ziller – So the plugin is basically provided by Necessitas and uses the same implementation, is that correct? Meaning it has the existing limitations of Necessitas (like no sound) plus the lack of some features, found in the Necessitas Creator?

Gianbattista says:

Good job, but it seems that qml2puppet is still missing. Is this true or is this a problem of my setup? (Ubuntu Precise, 64 bit)
Thanks

Kai Koehne says:

@Gianbattista: qml2puppet is deliberately not part of the binaries. It’s not functional yet.

Will Stokes says:

How do you compile a single file in this version? I can’t find the UI for this anywhere. Perhaps this isn’t turned on in the Mac OS version?

Fabio says:

Right click on the cpp file and there is the option. But I’m using it on windows

Eike Ziller says:

Have it on Mac too, but afair the option exists only for .pro file based projects

Will Stokes says:

Well this stinks. I have a .pro based project, but it includes .pri files that in turn include other .pri files and so on. When right cilcking the.cpp file in the “File System” list on teh left I do not have a “compile” option. IMHO the option should be there for non qmake based projects and simply be disabled so at least you know where it would be.

Fabio says:

Et voilat! The QtSDK disappear from qt-project….

I know, this is OT, but…why not a post from Digia about this?

7 says:

@Fabio – it is still there, they just moved it a little. Curious about why thou…

Davis says:

Is is just me, or has the volume of “Qt Labs”-style posts dropped by a large amount since the Digia take over? Are workers at Digia too overloaded to work on nifty things?

fonzi337 says:

I have noticed this too. It’s unfortunate, as I found Qt Labs posts quite informative and they provided a means for Qt users to see what sorts of things the trolls were working on.

Gurudutt Verma says:

Hi Davis,

After transition things are here and there and new infrastructure bla bla bla …. :(
We really have to work hard :)

For sure we really care for our community and we are working hard for it and the big proof is that qt-project.org is untouched and dedicated for community and new features are being planned.

For blog we are planning some better solution and hopefully we will be able to present soon, can’t give you deadline but we are working on something :)

I am sure things will be up and running soon as expected and all should go fine.

7 says:

Yep, it is awfully quiet lately, hopefully this is because they are still busy on the transition, but the again, the new owners of Qt are yet to show their true identity. Let’s hope all the joy Qt developers expressed when Nokia decided to let go was not premature…

Robin Lobel says:

Hi,

Can you provide a step by step on how to install Qt 4.8.3+Qt Creator on Windows ?
This goes all nice and easy with the SDK, but if you want to start from scratch with only the libraries and Qt Creator, it becomes very hard to setup everything.

-What version of MinGW am I supposed to install ? Where can I find it ? The latest binary of MinGW make the Qt library complain that it doesn’t have the proper w32api.h …

-What am I supposed to setup in Qt Creator so that everything is properly activated ?

thanks..!

Guy Forssman says:

I have the same question as you.
For a beginner this is not very user friendly..

Robin Lobel says:

Also, when will you provide an updated SDK with Qt 4.8.3+Qt Creator 2.6 ?

Sonu Lohani says:

There are still so many bugs in this version. Use it in your own risk. When opening any large project file, it is not showing some .h,.cpp files in the project explorer. And also when we are not setting any kits then it is getting crash.

Larswad says:

Weeping a little here. My issues that I’ve filed hasn’t been dealt with yet. :-(
Its the “using::ClassName” statements that still cause the autocompletion and syntax not to work. Only “using namespace” works. I use Qt Creator also as a “generic” project editor, and it actually works very good at that, parsing c++ code and all, but this using directive is kind of a pain.
Also, I filed a bug that qt creator overwrites the execution flag on scripts over sambashares. It is actually possible to detect that with ACL’s, cygwin does.
But ah well, I know, it’s free and I shouldn’t complain. I was just crossing my fingers and….

Eike Ziller says:

@sonu: Thanks for trying the RC. The point of releasing an RC is to get a larger audience that reports remaining issues that weren’t found through internal testing, e.g. because they only happen under certain configurations. I can’t reproduce your issues out-of-the-box, so please file bug reports (bugreports.qt-project.org) for them, including details on e.g. the steps how to reproduce, your configuration, and for crashes if possible a backtrace, so we can try to track them down.

vadim says: