Qt Creator 2.6.0 released

Published Thursday November 8th, 2012 | by

We are happy to announce Qt Creator 2.6.0 final today. If you haven’t followed the pre-release blogs, I’ll summarize the highlights of the new version here.

The probably most apparent change, that affects basically every Qt Creator user, is that we introduce Kits as a replacement for what were Targets in 2.5 and earlier. There you were adding Targets to a project’s configuration, from a predefined set like Desktop or Remote Linux, which were then doing some predefined “magic” things on top of the build, run and deploy configurations that they contained. We went and generalized that into Kits: A Kit contains settings for which device type to develop for (like Desktop or Remote Linux), the sysroot, compiler, debugger and Qt version to use, and potentially a few more. You can define these yourselves, and add them to a project’s configuration, where they again contain sets of build, run and deploy configurations. That makes it easier for users to control their build and run environments, and to share configurations between projects.

To define Kits, open Build & Run in the preferences, define your compiler in the Compilers tab (or make sure they were autodetected), add your Qt versions in the Qt Versions tab, and finally switch to the Kits tab and add a kit that uses the previous settings. Then go to Projects mode and choose Add Kit to add that configuration to your project.

On the platforms front we have new experimental support for Android merged into Qt Creator from the Necessitas project. Please check on their pages for more information, a list of entry points has been collected on the Qt Project Wiki. Also new is support for QNX/BlackBerry projects. These are really great news, and lots of thanks go to all that made that happen. On the downside we had to drop support for Symbian from Qt Creator, because of missing maintainer.

Otherwise there are lots of new bigger and smaller features and improvements all over the place. I already mentioned a few in the beta release blog, other examples are full screen support on Mac OS Lion and later, that you now can write e.g. foo.txt:123 in Locator to directly jump to a line in that file, lots of fixes and additions to the qrc file editor, like directly opening and renaming files, direct rebuilding and cleaning of .pro file based subprojects, more C++11 fixes, highlighting of macro usages, and more.

Download from Qt Project (Change log)

Commercial licensees find Qt Creator packages on the Customer Portal

If you are wondering how Qt Creator 2.6 runs on Qt 5, our upcoming Qt 5 Beta 2 release will include Qt Creator 2.6 based on Qt 5.

Update: If you had problems installing on Windows XP, please try again, the installer has been updated with a fix.

Bookmark and Share

Posted in Qt, QtCreator

82 comments to Qt Creator 2.6.0 released

Gerald says:

starting qt-creator-windows-opensource-2.6.0.exe shows msgbox:
unknown entry point “SHGetKnownFolderIDList” in “SHELL32.dll”
WinXP Prof SP3 32bit german (Shell32.dll version 6.0.2900)

SHGetKnownFolderIDList Minimum supported client: Windows Vista [desktop apps only]
Shell32.dll (version 6.0.6000 or later)

Fabio says:

Me too

Eike Ziller says:

The installer has been updated for Windows XP now

Lijo Antony says:

Congrats :)
And thanks for this much awaited release..

Eike Ziller says:

@gerald: Hi, we are working on an update (the installer doesn’t run on Windows XP atm). If you want to try Qt Creator on Windows XP anyhow, you can also download and un-7zip the windows file in http://origin.releases.qt-project.org/qtcreator/2.6.0/sources/ (that doesn’t do any file registering though, and doesn’t install the Visual Studio 2010 runtime (if you don’t already have that installed) ).

Fabio says:

I tryed qt-creator-windows-2.6.0-installer-archive.7z and it seems to work, however I don’t know what must be registered and how to do it by hand.

Daniel says:

Hey there,

when trying to start 2.6.0, I get the error (translated):
The core-plugin could not be loaded: C:\…….\libs\qtcreator\plugins\Nokia\Core.dll: The library C: could not be loaded: The procedure was not found.

QtCreator instantly shuts down after clicking OK. Background: I deactivated nearly all plugins in QtCreator 2.5.2 (since I don’t need them). I already had the same error with 2.6.0 RC :( Any hints?

Daniel

Eike Ziller says:

Daniel: “C:\…….\libs\qtcreator\plugins\Nokia\Core.dll” That path doesn’t exist anymore in 2.6. It’s QtProject instead of Nokia nowadays. Did you install over an existing installation without removing the old one first?

Daniel says:

Hey Eike, thanks for the quick reply. It works now. I have been doing the installation over the existing instance, since this worked for the last few versions. Sorry for the confusions. Daniel

Robin Lobel says:

Congrats on the release !
When can we expect an update of the full SDK ?
I’m not sure how to configure Qt4.8.3/Qt5b2 + Qt Creator 2.6.0 from scratch on Windows…

anton says:

I would like to abb myself the same question.

when will there be a new sdk for LINUX?

I downloaded last time qt-creator but failed to compile qt from source doing exactly whats
mentioned in the docs.

So I stopped wasting time and wait …..

Turunen Tuukka says:

@Robin: The upcoming Qt 5 beta 2 will include Creator and can thus be considered an SDK, although not an online one. Going forward we plan to make it online SDK and enable also Qt 4.8 in it so that there is again SDK for LGPL users through the Qt Project.

Robin Lobel says:

Awesome ! When can we expect Q5b2, November ?

Fabio says:

With the Necessitas merging this is another GREAT news!!

Turunen Tuukka, you are convincing me that Digia is not Evil. ;-)

markus says:

as usual nicely done! congrats!
luv from ubuntu 12.10 pc and myself!

Orgad Shaneh says:

Congrats!! Getting better with every release :)

VStevenP says:

Is the context-sensitive help in QtCreator supplied by the installed Qt development package? There’s no context sensitive help on in Qt Creator 2.6 final on Mac OS for me, but I am running Qt5 Beta 1 sources, and perhaps I didn’t install something that’s needed in order for this to work?

Fabio says:

Is possible that you have to manually add some files from \doc\qch\ under qtcreator help options.

[...] Digia представила релиз интегрированной среды разработки Qt Creator 2.6, [...]

Eike Ziller says:

@VStevenP: yes. if you compiled qt yourself, try running “make docs” there, but I’m not sure if that works for Qt5 beta 1.

Shmerl says:

Removed generic MeeGo support due to complete irrelevance

Are you going to add Mer / Nemo / Jolla-Sailfish and etc. support instead? They are continuation of generic Meego path.

Carlos says:

Congratulations :)

Is there any guide on how to configure it to maintain a parallel installation of the old Qt Creator for Symbian and N9 support?

Carlos

Eike Ziller says:

Just installing into different directories should work.

Lilian says:

I installed Qt Creator 2.6rc the same way I installed this Qt Creator 2.6(Final Release)
I installed QtCreator 2.6(Final Release) the same way I installed QtCreator 2.6rc(from .run) on Linux but I lost proper code completion for QtCreator 2.6 Final Release. I had the same problem when I compiled QtCreator myself.
Example: We have QVector vector;
There is code completion for QVector: vector.[code completion appears];
There is no code completion for QByteArray: vector.at(0).[doesn't give me any code completion];
This gives me code completion: vector[0].[code completion appears];

Let's say we have: struct FirstStruct { int i; }; struct SecondStructure { FirstStruct fs; } ss;
Code completion works good for this one: ss.fs.[code completion appears];

Lilian says:

First, sorry for the first proposition :)
Second, the forum doesn’t display correctly some of the code.
I will use “@@” instead of “\”.
I tried to write: QVector@QByteArray@ vector;
QVector \ vector;

Lilian says:

So, no solution for my problem? I was hoping for a quick response since I really need it now…

Eike Ziller says:

Hi, please report your problem in detail on bugreports.qt-project.org.

Tarhan says:

Its a great release just because of one Thing. First time Qt Creator doesn’t have problem with non-english codepages in Build Window. Because i have localized Visual Studio all compiler’s warnings and errors were unreadable eigther in Build or Problems window. But now it shows Cyrillic letters without any problems. Just for check I downloaded chinese ms c++ compilers and again output is readable. Big thanks to developers.

[...] Qt Creator 2.6 и порт Qt для платформы Android Компания Digia представила релиз интегрированной среды разработки Qt Creator 2.6, [...]

Askhat says:

First of all, it is really nice release. Big thanks to the developers that make our C++ coding life much less painful :)

I wonder, is there any work going on for improving CMake support? It is quite painful to add and rename files to the project (modify CMakeLists.txt, create/rename files, rerun CMake). I am aware that CMake syntax is not trivial to parse and modify, however is there any attempts?

[...] Qt Creator 2.6 hat sich von seinen Targets verabschiedet und macht Entwickler mit einem neuen Konstrukt bekannt: den Kits. Musste man zuvor in den Projektkonfigurationsdateien aus einem vorgefertigten Set Targets auswählen, sollen Kits dem Entwickler jetzt mehr Handlungsspielraum lassen. [...]

Sonu Lohani says:

Sir,
I love your team work and its fantastic. I am very much appreciated with your decision to make qt creator instead of using eclipse IDE. I want to know that when you’re going to launch qt for android as i dont want to stick with the java. Why i am asking is that you’ve included kits in your new version of qt creator. Could you please tell me the expected month? Best of luck for future.

Thanks Once Again.
Open Source Rules.

Eike Ziller says:

Qt support for Android (in beta quality) is already there for Qt 4 through the Necessitas project and will continue there. Reg. Qt5 and support from Digia:

“Digia is planning to invest into the further development of Qt on Android and aims to introduce Android as fully supported platform of Qt, i.e. as a Tier 1 platform during 2013.”

[...] Creator Version 2.6.0 has been released yesterday. The most notable change is the introduction of “Kits” to replace [...]

Vasily Shchukin says:

Yesterday was the release of QtCreator 2.6…
It’s a pity for me that fix of this serious bug not included…
I use renaming feature often, will wait…

Vasily Shchukin says:

…But thank you for the release anyway! :)

[...] dla programistów tworzących aplikacje z wykorzystaniem projektu Qt doczekało się wersji 2.6.0. Najważniejszą zmianą jest zastąpienie „Targetów” „Kitami”. This [...]

Guy Forssman says:

I’m trying to use Qt Creator 2.6.0 on a windows 7 64bit platform.
MinGW is installed.
But when I open ceator and try a project and change the project settings
I have no clue what to fill in and where. I would like to create something for the desktop

Kind regards

Chris says:

What would be the reason not to fix the bug (it has been reported, incl.confirmed by me years ago) with Wacom Mouse? Qt applications simply do not work with the Wacom Mouse (but they do with the pen). Not very great if one tries to develop a CAD or drawing application with Qt.

Andre' says:

One reason might be that none of the Qt Creator developers has access to a Wacom Mouse.

Very happy news for Qt community. This is a great thing to bring all under one roof. All I have to do is download this creator and target whatever platform out there. Though I would have been a bit sad if I had not lost my Symbian phone last week ;-) . Thanks for all the contributors.

Tomn says:

Fullscreen support is awesome on OS X! Thanks

Fast says:

Hi, I’ve got ‘Unsupported ‘QtQuick version’ message.
Is QtCreator 2.6 supports QtQuck 2 ?

Eike Ziller says:

Qt Quick Designer doesn’t support Qt Quick 2 (yet). The qml code editor in Qt Creator 2.6 does.

Fast says:

Thx for clarification. :(

Ross says:

Look forward to when it does :-)

Desert says:

Will it support it when Qt5 is out? This is a major drawback, QML is all UI and visual stuff, it’s really dissapointing to have lost this feature.

Marie says:

I would appreciate a fix soon. This is part of what I saw at the Conference and I want/need to get started with this.

[...] Wydano IDE Qt Creator 2.6.0. W najnowszej wersji m.in. ulepszono obsługę edytora qrc oraz standardu C++11. Więcej informacji dostępnych jest w dzienniku zmian. [...]

christoph says:

Thanks for this release! Why was the unattended installation switch removed (–mode unattended)?

Eike Ziller says:

We were using Bitrock on Linux before, but now switched to the Qt installer framework (so we can use the same framework for all installers that we create). Unfortunately that doesn’t support an equivalent to unattended mode yet.
I’ve created https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTIFW-166 to track that.

ZM says:

I’m using QtCreator with MSVC compiler on Windows 7 x64 for working on CMake-based projects. The jom version supplied with 2.6.0 crashes directly at build start.

“This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.”, Exit Code 3

From the command line, I can execute “jom -version” without a crash, but “jom /VERSION” (as indicated in the help) will crash. Also simply running “jom” in the build directory will result in a crash.

Jörg Bornemann says:

@all having jom issues:
Unfortunately we cannot reproduce the crash you’re describing. Please create a bug report at https://bugreports.qt-project.org/ and state the problem and your environment (OS version etc).

ey says:

“our upcoming Qt 5 Beta 2 release will include Qt Creator 2.6 based on Qt 5…”

When will Qt 5 Beta 2 be released ?
When will Qt 5.0 will be released ?

me says:

Same issue as ZM: jom crashes!

Vlad says:

So if I was using QtCreator for Symbian development only (on Linux) I am stuck with 2.5.x?

Can you share some information about the Symbian portion that needs to be maintained in QtCreator – so others can come and asses if they can contribute?

Eike Ziller says:

Yes, 2.5 (if that works for you, or even 2.4).

Symbian support would basically need to be rewritten, it didn’t make the transition to Kits, it was intermangled with the Qt4ProjectManager, debugger and even the qml designer before and would need to be in a different plugin, and I think it didn’t work with newer versions of Coda (deployment & debugging). The sha1 of the change that removes it is ae23d50576ac076aeb22a3d56abdb5e2c1d9b327 . Looking at what was removed probably gives some overview on what would need to be recreated ;)

nonaci says:

I noiced a nasty tendency that they (digia) don’t reply to certain peoples’ posts. Should I hide my sirname to get a responce from you?

Jörg Bornemann says:

Amund says:

Very good. Exited to get the full Qt 5 SDK.

Miss “Jump list” support for Win 7 though.

Dennis W. Jackson says:

Are there any differences between the Open Source and Commercial releases?

Eike Ziller says:

There is no difference between 2.6.0 open source and 2.6.0 commercial except for the license.

Hi,

I have just installed version 2.6 on my Mac, but now I cannot find the to-do entries plugin. It’s not listed under “about plugins” and I would love to have it back, as my code still has some “NOTE” and “WARNING” labels, that are a lot harder to find now.

Can I install the plugin by hand somehow?

Regards,
Michael

Never mind. I was running Qt Creator 2.4.x, I really have to clean up the older versions I don’t use anymore …

[...] Qt Creator 2.6.0 released | Qt Blog [...]

dragan says:

What happened to tabs in QML profiler with Qt5? I don’t see Timeline and Javascript tabs.

[...] we develop inside the Qt Project, is a prime example that shows this. A couple of weeks ago, we released Qt Creator 2.6 for use with Qt 4.8. The Qt 5 packages ship with Qt Creator 2.6.1 (which apart from [...]

Debmalya Jash says:

Installed Qt libraries 5.0.0 for Windows (VS 2010 406 MB).
Opened Qt Creator 2.6.1
Tools->Options->Qt Versions->Auto-detected Qt 5.0.0 MSVC 2010 32 bit (SDK) C:\Qt\Qt5.0.0\msvc2010\bin\qmake.exe
There is a error message “No compiler can produce code for this Qt version. Please define one or more compilers.

rmhambatofi says:

Hi,
Debmalya Jash, i have the same problem. Have you solve you problem ?

Debmalya Jash says:

My Dear rmhambatofi,

Still trying, not able to solve this problem. My operating system is 64 bit windows 7. But Qt 5.0.0 MSVC2010 32bit (SDK). I did not find installer for 64 bit. I am feeling may be that is the problem.

Meenakshi Gupta says:

Hi,
I have downloaded qt-windows-opensource-5.0.1-msvc2010_32-x86-offline and installed it on my Windows 8 machine.
QT autodetected MSVC compilers,Microsoft Visual C++ compiler 11.0(x86),11.0(x86_amd64). But is gives error No compiler can produce code for this QT version.Please define one or more compilers. Please help as I am new to QT. As per my guess even if QT 5.0.1 wants msvc2010 compiler isn’t msvc2012 backward compatible?

Hello, have this great IDE entered Ubuntu repo? I use 12.04. Thank you…