Qt 5.0 Beta 2 is Out

Published Tuesday November 13th, 2012 | by

I’m glad to announce that Qt 5.0 Beta 2 is now released, just in time for Qt Developer Days in Berlin. The beta puts us closer to the final release of Qt 5.0, which we anticipate to release by the end of the year.

A Full Release – Qt 5.0 Throughout

A lot of work has happened since the Beta 1 towards bringing Qt 5 closer to a final release. One of the biggest differences is that this Qt 5.0 release includes not only the Qt libraries, but also the tools. Qt Creator 2.6 based on Qt 5.0 is now bundled together with Qt 5.0 to make it a full complete release. It also helps us in testing and verifying the quality of Qt 5.

This release will only support Qt 5.0, but we will later examine whether and how we can add Qt 4.x support to it.

In addition, it shows that Qt 5 is a good and mature release with a very high degree of compatibility with Qt 4.x. Qt Creator can currently be built both against Qt 4.8 and 5.0 from a single code base. This proves that Qt 5.0 is almost fully source-compatible with Qt 4.8.

Qt 5.0 Functionality

With Qt 5.0 Beta 2, we have now finalized the list of modules and packages that will be part of the 5.0 final release. Qt 5.0 will contain the following libraries:

Qt Essentials

• Qt Assistant
  • Qt Linguist
  • Qt Designer
  • Qt Translations
  • Qt Creator
  • Qt Documentation

As you can see, there is a lot of functionality included in Qt 5.0., but some modules like Qt 3D have been excluded from this release. However, they are still available from qt-project.org and you can use them together with Qt 5.0.

Known Issues

As this is a beta, it still has some known issues. First of all, there is still a major overhaul of the documentation planned for Qt 5.0 that didn’t make it into this beta, so you can still expect some larger changes in this area. Apart from that, there’s a lot of smaller known issues. An up-to-date list can be found at http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt500beta2KnownIssues

Try it Out

Because this release bundles the libraries and the tools, it should now make it very easy for everybody to get started with Qt 5.0 and try it out on their own project. Please go ahead, try it out on your project and give us your feedback so that we can fix as many issues as possible for the final 5.0 release.

I encourage you to download Qt 5.0 Beta 2 from the http://qt-project.org/downloads site or from http://qt.digia.com/Try-Qt-Now/

If you are a Qt commercial customer, you can download the release via your Digia Qt customer portal.

Posted in Uncategorized

111 comments to Qt 5.0 Beta 2 is Out

Rathias Corporation says:

That’s AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Qt is the future!!!!

Laszlo Papp says:

Yay :)

Eike Ziller says:

A little request to all who find issues with the Qt Creator that is included in this release: In your bugreports on bugreports.qt-project.org, please state in the Environment field that this is the Qt Creator bundled with the Qt5 beta2 release. So we have a hint if issues might be related to Qt5 or not :)

7 says:

Another beta instead of the scheduled final release? Also, any word on MSVC2012 compatibility?

smoggy says:

Happy beta release day everyone !
btw is there a livestream to the ongoing conferences ?

smoggy says:

Btw the links were broken so i had to download from here: http://origin.releases.qt-project.org/digia/5.0.0_beta2/latest/

Danny says:

Nice, but where did Qt3D go?

teZeriusz says:

yeah this is good question, where did Qt3D go?

Kai Koehne says:

It moved to playground: http://www.mail-archive.com/interest@qt-project.org/msg04398.html

7 says:

So Qt3D along with sensors, location, all of which pretty much vital for modern app development are being removed from Qt5 just because Nokia kicked out their maintainers and Digia has not figured out those people should be hired back?

dfd says:

I guess nobody will stop _you_ from hiring these people.

Amund says:

Great! No Winx64? Hmm, have to compile 32-bit until final release then….

Alex Syrnikov says:

I want compiled win64 VC++ version of QT5 too…

Kaoxyd says:

Uber cool, it doesn’t work.

QtCreator didn’t detect MSVC 2010 compiler

Thorbjørn Lindeijer says:

Congratulations with the release!

@Kaoxyd
Did you check the known issues page? It mentions a workaround for an issue when using “Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express on Windows 7 64 bit”.

Kaoxyd says:

Yep, but still not work. When i want to compile, Qtcreator say : “:-1: erreur : Qt Creator needs a compiler set up to build. Configure a compiler in the kit options.”

Fabio says:

Is msvc express compatible with this release or we need the pro version?

In the future, when Qt 4.8.x will be added, will be added a compatible version of mingw as well?

I read that TDM GCC can be used:
But is not clear to me if is ok the 64 bit version or if it include a qtcreator compatible, phyton enable, gdb!
Another doubt is how to compile a single Qt tree for release and debug version of the libraries (with the appended “d” at the end of lib file) tha can link automatically the right version when I build a .pro project in release or in debug.

I now…too much questions…but I don’t know how will be the appropriate setup for the near future….

Kai Koehne says:

With the Beta only MSVC binaries are provided. You should be able to compile the beta with MinGW on your own though except for the qtwebkit module, which fails to compile right now on MinGw. But if you don’t need that you should be fine … Debug and Release versions of the libs should be automatically generated if you configure with -debug-and-release (default on Windows).

Chris says:

Is Qt 5 even compatible with MinGW 4.7? I hope that it is at least compatible with MinGW 4.6.2…

BTW How long would it take to compile Qt 5 on something like Core i5 and 4Gb RAM?

Kai Koehne says:

I’d recommend a recent mingw-w64 based toolchain with at least gcc 4.7. I’m using mingw-builds personally … from time to time I also compile with latest mingw.org (gcc 4.7.0), also works (except webkit and angle). What matters actually is not so much the compiler version, but the Windows API that is covered, which is also why you should use mingw-w64 instead of mingw.org.

If you want to compile all of Qt 5, do it over night ;) mingw32-make -j still has problems sometimes, AFAIK …

Fabio says:

I compile Qt 4.8.3 on Linux with an asus eeepc 900a, take me about one night. :-DDD

Fabio says:

I don’t need webkit for now but I hope the problem will be fixed.

Ok, thank you, so if i go with the default “-debug-and-release” on “make install” I can expect the generation of a *single* Qt libs tree with the debug libraries filename with the leading “d” and iin qtcreator the appropriate files are linked for debug and release right? And under Linux?

Fabio says:

Under Linux, in Qt-4.8.3 “./configure –help” command show the default to “release” and the option “-debug-and-release” is marked “Mac Only”

So I don’t know how to generate a single tree with release and debug version to have “switchable” linking from debug to release when i build project.

Note that for Linux the link on the download page does not privide any precompiled version but piunt simply to the source package…

Fabio says:

Should I use the same -prefix of the release build for the debug build and use the following configure option?

-qtlibinfix d

Kaoxyd says:

Does it include mingw (4.7?) that permit to build project under windows without msvc10? => Nope
Is msvc express compatible with this release or we need the pro version? => Yes it is, it’s include with QT 5 libs
For now, if i would like to compile with mingw 4.7, I need to download Qt sources(4.8 or 5) and compile it myself, is right? => Yes

For the other questions, I don’t have answers

Thank you for answers.

I really hope the next bundle will include binary of Qt 4.8 and Qt5 for both msvc and mingw 4.7 and that the used version of mingw will be included (better if the one that can build both 32 and 64 bit).

Otherwise I think that will be not exactly a negligible effort to compile ourself each time, including the high number of options and parameters for Qt and different compiler version and so on.

Fabio says:

I have found a Python enable gdb binaries here:

But I’m always in doubt about MinGW versions I can use for both the last 4.8 and 5.

Chris says:

It is a Visual C++ version… ;)
I really find it strange why would Qt be priority on VC++

Me too…

charley says:

Because it’s good, and it works. The VC++ user-interface alternatives have issues.

Fabio says:

Excuse me, this is not clear to me: is mingw not “good”? If is this the case for what reason?
And can you briefly explain some issues you spoke about?
Just for better understand your comment.

Misuha says:

I wanted to foollw along and let you know how great I valued discovering your website today. I’d consider it a good honor to work at my place of work and be able to make real use of the tips contributed on your website and also take part in visitors’ comments like this. Should a position involving guest article writer become on offer at your end, make sure you let me know.

jedibeeftrix says:

Congrats on getting this beta out.

Quick question – is it still the plan to reintroduce QT 3D in the 5.1 release?

Kind regards

Yes. And Qt3D is not dissappearing for 5.0 users either, its just not bundled in the package. It is available for 4.8 and can be used with 5.0 as well. It is an important module, and we want to have it properly maintained, developed further and into 5.1.

Loaden says:

. It is available for 4.8 and can be used with 5.0 as well.
——————
I doubt it! You can’t run any examples with Angle on Windows now. So, It’s fully broken on Windows, and I have to give up.

Kai Koehne says:

If it’s only angle, configure Qt with ‘-opengl desktop’.

sroedal says:

If that’s the case it should be easily fixable, Qt3D is designed to support both OpenGL ES 2 and desktop OpenGL.

jedibeeftrix says:

“It is an important module, and we want to have it properly maintained, developed further and into 5.1.”

Excellent, thank you.

I’d be delighted to see Qt 3D become a core and maintained module in 5.1, in time for adoption into KDE.

Kind regards

dummy says:

i think, that’s very sad that qt3d isn’t part qt5 anymore…
Furthermore i tried to build the master-tree of qt3d with qt5beta2 in the qtcreator2. I just opened the project file in the qt3d directory with QtCreator and built it. But after building i can’t open the qt3d examples, it always displays that qtquick3d.dll is missing and another problem is, that i can’t import qt3d to QML. I tried qmlRegisterType but it didn’t help.
Can someone help me and give me a hint how to build the qt3d properly?
Best regards and sorry for missplacing this issue here.

wonderer says:

Where’s the old open source self-updating SDK?

I was using the old one and it looks like it’s gone. Bring it back, please.

bmanc says:

Fantastic. I really do hope the final release comes with gcc 4.7 support out of the box. That would be so helpful.

Chris says:

Yeah :)

[…] и директор по развитию фреймворка Qt в компании Digia, объявил о доступности второй бета-версии фреймворка Qt 5. […]

fonzi337 says:

This is great news! I’m excited to try Qt Creator based on Qt 5.

I did notice with beta2 one thing that has broken is the availability of the qmake $$PWD variable. I was using this variable, together with .qmake.cache, on my project to copy include header files as the first step in my build. I got around the issue by using $$_PRO_FILE_PWD_ instead.

fonzi337 says:

One other comment: I noticed the Qt Creator bundled with this release uses a KDE-like style on my Ubuntu machine. Is there by chance an easy workaround for this?

Kai Koehne says:

fonzi337, could you file bugs for both things you mentioned ($$PWD and KDE-like style on Ubuntu) on https://bugreports.qt-project.org/ ? Just mention that this is a problem in the Qt 5 beta 2 package … Thanks.

[…] Entwicklern, die sich auf die neue Version vorbereiten wollen, steht seit gestern auch die Beta 2 von Qt 5.0 zur […]

Max says:

Hello!

I tried to build my software with the qt 5 beta 2. But it doesn’t found the QSqlDatabase. But this is a module of the Essentials modules isn’t it? Do i have to rebuild from source to get this feature?

-Max

mbelgrano says:

When Will be ready the Mingw version of qt5 beta2?

Chris says:

When somebody is so nice to do it :). I am not doing it. I am afraid to try it. I’ve tried it once and it failed… so now I am in the waiting game too.

Thomas Boutroue says:

Why doesn’t this release include the QML WebView, i really need it for an app which uses oAuth, and I though it would be in the release, since it is a ‘as complete as final’ release, at least in the number of modules point of view…

So how can I have a Webkit integration into my QML2 app ?

Kai Koehne says:

Which package are you using ?

import QtWebKit 3.0
WebView {
}

works for me .

[…] ręce testerów właśnie dostała się wersja beta2 biblioteki Qt 5.0. This entry was posted in bez kategorii and tagged gui, qt by […]

anonymous says:

I met a problem with qmake on Ubuntu 12.04. The qmake program from the 5.0.0 beta 2 produces Makefile with -lGL instead of -lQtOpenGL. Could anyone check it??

Desert says:

It seems the qml2puppet is still not present in Qt Creator 2.6. I cant find a way to use the QML Designer in QtC. Is this just me or this is a mayor setback for QML ?

jnielsen says:

I’m having the same issue with the QML designer. I get 2 pop up boxes one saying that it can’t find qml2puppet in the bin folder and the second saying the qt version is not supported…

Chris says:

It may be actually unsupported by Qt Creator yet

Chris says:

Eike Ziller says:
November 12, 2012 at 12:00

Qt Quick Designer doesn’t support Qt Quick 2 (yet). The qml code editor in Qt Creator 2.6 does.

Marie says:

Are there any plans on a fix in close future? It’s quite limiting right now as I want to have use of the new QT Quick 2 after been inspired by the Conference in Berlin but also the designer….

marcus.fr says:

Would be nice if you make QtSDK installer to support both 32 & 64 bit in one installation.

Kai Koehne says:

This would almost double the size of the installer executable. Just install them side by side.

Philippe says:

Not present and not mentionned: what about QtHelp? (which I use for embedded doc).

lolo says:

Does not compile well on Windows 7 x64 + VS2010.

I execute configure.bat and I get this error:

d:\Qt500b2_x64>configure.bat
+ d:/Qt500b2_x64/qtbase/configure
“d:\Qt500b2_x64\qtbase\\configure.exe” no se reconoce como un comando interno o
externo, programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.
*** qtbase/configure exited with non-zero status.

Kai Koehne says:

See known issues. Workaround is to create a file “.gitignore” in qtbase directory.

lolo says:

thx a lot :p

Albert says:

Just read about new features in Qt 5: after a year or so with it, I’m more and more happy with this framework! :)

lolo says:

A question… does the Beta 2 support VS2010 plugin? The 1.1.11 gives me a “This Qt version uses an unsupported makefile genrator ( used: , supported: MSVC.NET, MSBUILD )”

Leo Júnior says:

Thank you for that =) It’s very important to me!

Sandrini says:

anyone knows how to cross compile to raspberry pi (from windows or linux)? and any raspberry pi image (that works) with this version? thanks!

Philippe says:

@lolo

So far VS2010 addin 1.1.11 works for me (using QTDIR including qtbase).

[…] Read more about it on the announcement blog. […]

JKSH says:

Is the Qt Multimedia Widgets module part of the release too?

Meredith says:

@lolo
Same problem here, using qtaddin 1.2 beta, with vs2010 sp1

@Philippe
What do you mean using QTDIR including qtbase?

Emanuele says:

Qt Qml, Qt Quick, Qt Declarative…Three modules around (i think) the same technology: which are the differences between these packages (who does what)?

JKSH says:

Qt Declarative contains Qt Quick 1.0, Qt Quick contains Qt Quick 2.0.

I’m not very sure how Qt QML fits into the picture, but you can have a look at:

Kai Koehne says:

QtQml – Qt Quick 2, infrastructure (non GUI)
QtQuick – Qt Quick 2, GUI items
QtDeclarative – Qt Quick 1 compatibility module (to allow easy porting of Qt 4.x applications)

Emanuele says:

Thanks!

Philippe says:

@Emanuele:
When running Visual Studio, the system varialbe QTDIR must be properly set. In my case, this is:
C:\Qt\5.0.0\qtbase
Also, the following registry keys must be properly set at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Trolltech\Versions\

BTW, where do you get qtaddin 1.2 beta ?

MuldeR says:

Qt 5.0 Beta 2 is nice to have, but where is Qt 4.8.4 that is supposed to fix the nasty Drag&Drop regression (Windows) introduced in Qt 4.8.3? I hope the devs won’t forget to fix Qt 4.8 while finalizing Qt 5. Qt 4.8 will be used in production for quite some time…

Vasily Shchukin says:

WARNING(!)
1. QtCreator 2.6 contained in this package (based on qt5) has not working CDB debugger. There are not any messages on informative error codes. Only “Debug starting… Debug error.” in output pane.

2. Also for correct compiling of ANY project (old or just created with the wizards provided) at least, we need set MSVC environment before starting qtcreator.exe (all previous version didn’t needed it at all).

All of these was tested on Windows 7 x86 platform with correctly installed “Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)” and “Microsoft Windows SDK 7.1″. Before installing “qt5 beta 2″ package all was accuratly cleaned after previous versions of qt.

After installing common build of “QtCreator v2.6″ (bases on 4.8.3), downloaded from common link, provided on main download page ( http://origin.releases.qt-project.org/qtcreator/2.6.0/qt-creator-windows-opensource-2.6.0.exe ) — ALL WORK FINE!.

So it looks like as regressions in qtcreator that built with qt5 libraries… It seems that as was said in the site news, QtCreator 2.6 based on qt5 is only for wondering how Qt Creator 2.6 runs on Qt 5….

Kai Koehne says:

Hi Vasily, there’s indeed a problem with the creator shipped and CDB debugging. Workaround is to rename “Tools\Qt Creator” to “Tools\QtCreator” (see also Known Issues). You’re also right that the MSVC toolchain has to be registered by hand if cl.exe isn’t found in the path.

That aside, this is a Beta package, mainly for getting feedback. So bear with us if some things to not always work out of the box.

Vasily Shchukin says:

Oк, i understand that it’s “beta” yet, it was just my report and notice about the issue…

Andre' says:

This real issue is fixed now (change 7b000a056).

Fabio says:

I would like to signal a possible problem in the Qt-5beta2 build procedure.

I’m building Qt-5beta2 with MinGW 4.6

configure -prefix %CD%\qtbase -debug-and-release -opensource -openssl -icu -no-sse2 -qt-pcre -qt-style-windowsce -qt-style-windowsmobile -nomake tests -platform win32-g++

First problem:
___________
I needed to add -no-sse2 due to a not find header file intrin.h : this file is not present in the MS Platform SDK, neither in MinGW includes. (anyway, if i well understand the MS SDK must be not used for MinGW builds).

Second problem:
______________

After the “configure” procedure, some of the Makefile.release and Makefile.debug, (in particular those for the
following project: moc rcc doc uic) are generate with duplicated -L[…] entry and the second have the “” removed!
##################
LIBS = -LC:\Qt\qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0-beta2\qtbase\src\tools\bootstrap\release -LC:\Qt\mingw32-qtproject\lib -L”C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Lib\.” -L”C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Lib\x86″ -LC:\Qt\OpenSSL-Win32\lib -LC:\Qt\icu\lib -lbootstrap -LC:\Qt\mingw32-qtproject\lib -LC:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Lib\. -LC:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Lib\x86 -LC:\Qt\OpenSSL-Win32\lib -LC:\Qt\icu\lib -luser32 -lole32 -ladvapi32
##################

PLEASE NOTE that my environment for the LIB variable ALREADY INCLUDE “” around path containing space!
#################
LIB=C:\Qt\mingw32-qtproject\lib;”C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Lib\.”;”C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Lib\x86″;C:\Qt\OpenSSL-Win32\lib;C:\Qt\icu\lib
##################

I know, paths is better when do not contain spaces, but those are MS defaults and need to work!
Better willl be if modified duplicated -L[…] are not added, and also better will be if I do not need
to add “” in my LIB variable.
I modified files by hand adding “” aroeund the duplicated entry and now is compiling….

Bye, Fabio.

Ah!
“Obiovusly” the problem is that with -L[…] entry(s) not between “” and containing space,
the mingw32-make command exit with an error, for example:

g++ -c -pipe -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -O2 -fno-exceptions -frtti -Wall -Wextra -DUNICODE -DQT_RCC -DQT_BOOTSTRAPPED -DQT_LITE_UNICODE -DQT_NO_CAST_FROM_ASCII -DQT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII -DQT_NO_CODECS -DQT_NO_DATASTREAM -DQT_NO_LIBRARY -DQT_NO_QOBJECT -DQT_NO_SYSTEMLOCALE -DQT_NO_THREAD -DQT_NO_UNICODETABLES -DQT_NO_USING_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_DEPRECATED -DQT_NO_EXCEPTIONS -I. -I”.” -I”..\..\..\include” -I”..\..\..\include\QtCore” -I”..\..\..\include\QtCore\5.0.0″ -I”..\..\..\include\QtCore\5.0.0\QtCore” -I”C:\Qt\mingw32-qtproject\include” -I”C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Include” -I”C:\Qt\OpenSSL-Win32\include” -I”C:\Qt\icu\include” -I”..\..\..\mkspecs\win32-g++” -o tmp\obj\release_shared\rcc.o rcc.cpp
g++ -c -pipe -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -O2 -fno-exceptions -frtti -Wall -Wextra -DUNICODE -DQT_RCC -DQT_BOOTSTRAPPED -DQT_LITE_UNICODE -DQT_NO_CAST_FROM_ASCII -DQT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII -DQT_NO_CODECS -DQT_NO_DATASTREAM -DQT_NO_LIBRARY -DQT_NO_QOBJECT -DQT_NO_SYSTEMLOCALE -DQT_NO_THREAD -DQT_NO_UNICODETABLES -DQT_NO_USING_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_DEPRECATED -DQT_NO_EXCEPTIONS -I. -I”.” -I”..\..\..\include” -I”..\..\..\include\QtCore” -I”..\..\..\include\QtCore\5.0.0″ -I”..\..\..\include\QtCore\5.0.0\QtCore” -I”C:\Qt\mingw32-qtproject\include” -I”C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Include” -I”C:\Qt\OpenSSL-Win32\include” -I”C:\Qt\icu\include” -I”..\..\..\mkspecs\win32-g++” -o tmp\obj\release_shared\main.o main.cpp
g++ -Wl,-s -Wl,-subsystem,console -o ..\..\..\bin\rcc.exe tmp/obj/release_shared/rcc.o tmp/obj/release_shared/main.o -LC:\Qt\qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0-beta2\qtbase\src\tools\bootstrap\release -LC:\Qt\mingw32-qtproject\lib -L”C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Lib\.” -L”C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Lib\x86″ -LC:\Qt\OpenSSL-Win32\lib -LC:\Qt\icu\lib -lbootstrap -LC:\Qt\mingw32-qtproject\lib -LC:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Lib\. -LC:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Lib\x86 -LC:\Qt\OpenSSL-Win32\lib -LC:\Qt\icu\lib -luser32 -lole32 -ladvapi32
g++: error: Files\Microsoft: No such file or directory
g++: error: Platform: No such file or directory
g++: error: SDK\Lib\.: No such file or directory
g++: error: Files\Microsoft: No such file or directory
g++: error: DirectX: No such file or directory
g++: error: SDK: No such file or directory
g++: error: (June: No such file or directory
g++: error: 2010)\Lib\x86: No such file or directory
mingw32-make[5]: *** [..\..\..\bin\rcc.exe] Error 1
mingw32-make[5]: Leaving directory `C:/Qt/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0-beta2/qtbase/src/tools/rcc’
mingw32-make[4]: *** [release] Error 2
mingw32-make[4]: Leaving directory `C:/Qt/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0-beta2/qtbase/src/tools/rcc’
mingw32-make[3]: *** [sub-rcc-make_first] Error 2
mingw32-make[3]: Leaving directory `C:/Qt/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0-beta2/qtbase/src/tools’
mingw32-make[2]: *** [sub-tools-make_first] Error 2
mingw32-make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/Qt/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0-beta2/qtbase/src’
mingw32-make[1]: *** [sub-src-make_first] Error 2
mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Qt/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0-beta2/qtbase’
mingw32-make: *** [module-qtbase-make_first] Error 2

I WAS compiling… :-((((((

In file included from ..\..\..\3rdparty\angle\src/libEGL/Display.h:25:0,
from ..\..\..\3rdparty\angle\src/libGLESv2/Blit.h:21,
from ..\..\..\3rdparty\angle\src\libGLESv2\Blit.cpp:9:
..\..\..\3rdparty\angle\src/libEGL/Config.h:97:5: error: a class-key must be used when declaring a friend
cc1plus.exe: warning: unrecognized command line option “-Wno-delete-non-virtual-dtor” [enabled by default]
cc1plus.exe: warning: unrecognized command line option “-Wno-maybe-uninitialized” [enabled by default]
cc1plus.exe: warning: unrecognized command line option “-Wno-narrowing” [enabled by default]
mingw32-make[6]: *** [tmp/obj/release_shared/Blit.o] Error 1

No luck. :-(

In first time I added to configure command “-no-angle -no-opengl”
..\..\..\3rdparty\angle\src/libEGL/Config.h:97:5: error: friend declaration does not name a class or function)

Then I added -no-sse2 as well but another error that now i’ve lost regardig the definition of BYTE_MUL_SSE2 macro raised.
Then the last configure parameters i tryied included all the following:

Complete:
configure -prefix %CD%\qtbase -debug-and-release -opensource -openssl -icu -no-sse2 -no-sse3 -no-ssse3 -no-sse4.1 -no-sse4.2 -no-avx -no-avx2 -no-angle -no-opengl -qt-pcre -qt-style-windowsce -qt-style-windowsmobile -nomake tests -platform win32-g++

But this, another time, raise an error:

kernel\qplatformopenglcontext.cpp:87:5: error: ‘QOpenGLContext’ does not name a type
kernel\qplatformopenglcontext.cpp: In constructor ‘QPlatformOpenGLContextPrivate::QPlatformOpenGLContextPrivate()':
kernel\qplatformopenglcontext.cpp:85:39: error: class ‘QPlatformOpenGLContextPrivate’ does not have any field named ‘context’
kernel\qplatformopenglcontext.cpp: At global scope:
kernel\qplatformopenglcontext.cpp:90:1: error: ‘QPlatformOpenGLContext’ does not name a type
kernel\qplatformopenglcontext.cpp:95:1: error: ‘QPlatformOpenGLContext’ does not name a type
kernel\qplatformopenglcontext.cpp:104:1: error: ‘GLuint’ does not name a type
kernel\qplatformopenglcontext.cpp:109:1: error: ‘QOpenGLContext’ does not name a type
kernel\qplatformopenglcontext.cpp:115:6: error: ‘QPlatformOpenGLContext’ has not been declared
kernel\qplatformopenglcontext.cpp:115:41: error: variable or field ‘setContext’ declared void
kernel\qplatformopenglcontext.cpp:115:41: error: ‘QOpenGLContext’ was not declared in this scope
kernel\qplatformopenglcontext.cpp:115:57: error: ‘context’ was not declared in this scope
kernel\qplatformopenglcontext.cpp:121:6: error: ‘QPlatformOpenGLContext’ has not been declared
mingw32-make[4]: *** [tmp/obj/debug_shared/qplatformopenglcontext.o] Error 1

For each attempt I edited the Makefile.[debug|relese] for moc rcc doc and uic projects.
For now I drop by the wayside. Suggestion are welcome.

Vasily Shchukin says:

Failed to build Qt5.0 beta2. I need some hints what’s wrong (or reminds that it’s only beta :-) )

Platform is Windows 7 x86 with “Microsoft Windows SDK 7.1″. All setting are according to http://qt-project.org/wiki/Building_Qt_5_from_Git except configuring with “-debug-and-release” flags in configure.exe (also tried “-release”).

Here is my bat-file:

PATH=c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin;%PATH%
call "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat"
set QTDIR=
set PATH=c:\Python27\;c:\Perl\bin\;%CD%\qtbase\bin;%CD%\qtrepotools\bin;%PATH%
set QMAKESPEC=win32-msvc2010
set CL=/MP
configure -prefix %CD%\qtbase -debug-and-release -static -opensource -confirm-license -nomake examples -nomake tests -no-icu -opengl desktop -platform win32-msvc2010
nmake

And here is log with build errors:

qdesigner_toolwindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static class QDesignerPropertyEditorInterface * __cdecl QDesignerComponents::createPropertyEditor(class DesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QWidget *)" (__imp_?createPropertyEditor@QDesignerComponents@@SAPAVQDesignerPropertyEditorInterface@@PAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@PAVQWidget@@@Z) referenced in function "class QWidget * __cdecl createPropertyEditor(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QWidget *)" (?createPropertyEditor@@YAPAVQWidget@@PAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@PAV1@@Z) qdesigner_toolwindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static class QDesignerActionEditorInterface * __cdecl QDesignerComponents::createActionEditor(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QWidget *)" (__imp_?createActionEditor@QDesignerComponents@@SAPAVQDesignerActionEditorInterface@@PAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@PAVQWidget@@@Z) referenced in function "class QWidget * __cdecl createActionEditor(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QWidget *)" (?createActionEditor@@YAPAVQWidget@@PAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@PAV1@@Z)
qdesigner_toolwindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static class QDesignerObjectInspectorInterface * __cdecl QDesignerComponents::createObjectInspector(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QWidget *)" (__imp_?createObjectInspector@QDesignerComponents@@SAPAVQDesignerObjectInspectorInterface@@PAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@PAVQWidget@@@Z) referenced in function "class QWidget * __cdecl createObjectInspector(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QWidget *)" (?createObjectInspector@@YAPAVQWidget@@PAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@PAV1@@Z)
qdesigner_toolwindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static class QDesignerWidgetBoxInterface * __cdecl QDesignerComponents::createWidgetBox(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QWidget *)" (__imp_?createWidgetBox@QDesignerComponents@@SAPAVQDesignerWidgetBoxInterface@@PAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@PAVQWidget@@@Z) referenced in function "class QWidget * __cdecl createWidgetBox(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QWidget *)" (?createWidgetBox@@YAPAVQWidget@@PAVQDesignerFormE
ditorInterface@@PAV1@@Z) qdesigner_toolwindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static class QWidget * __cdecl QDesignerComponents::createResourceEditor(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QWidget *)" (__imp_?createResourceEditor@QDesignerComponents@@SAPAVQWidget@@PAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@PAV2@@Z) referenced in function "public: __thiscall ResourceEditorToolWindow::ResourceEditorToolWindow(class QDesignerWorkbench *)" (??0ResourceEditorToolWindow@@QAE@PAVQDesignerWorkbench@@@Z)
qdesigner_toolwindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static class QWidget * __cdecl QDesignerComponents::createSignalSlotEditor(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QWidget *)" (__imp_?createSignalSlotEditor@QDesignerComponents@@SAPAVQWidget@@PAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@PAV2@@Z) referenced in function "public: __thiscall SignalSlotEditorToolWindow::SignalSlotEditorToolWindow(class QDesignerWorkbench *)" (??0SignalSlotEditorToolWindow@@QAE@PAVQDesignerWorkbench@@@Z)
qdesigner_workbench.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static void __cdecl QDesignerComponents::initializePlugins(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *)" (__imp_?initializePlugins@QDesignerComponents@@SAXPAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@@Z) referenced in function "public: __thiscall QDesignerWorkbench::QDesignerWorkbench(void)" (??0QDesignerWorkbench@@QAE@XZ)
qdesigner_workbench.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static class QObject * __cdecl QDesignerComponents::createTaskMenu(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QObject *)" (__imp_?createTaskMenu@QDesignerComponents@@SAPAVQObject@@PAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@PAV2@@Z) referenced in function "public: __thiscall QDesignerWorkbench::QDesignerWorkbench(void)" (??0QDesignerWorkbench@@QAE@XZ)
qdesigner_workbench.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static class QDesignerFormEditorInterface * __cdecl QDesignerComponents::createFormEditor(class QObject *)" (__imp_?createFormEditor@QDesignerComponents@@SAPAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@PAVQObject@@@Z) referenced in function "public: __thiscall QDesignerWorkbench::QDesignerWorkbench(void)" (??0QDesigne
rWorkbench@@QAE@XZ) qdesigner_actions.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static struct QMetaObject const qdesigner_internal::QDesignerFormWindowManager::staticMetaObject" (__imp_?staticMetaObject@QDesignerFormWindowManager@qdesigner_internal@@2UQMetaObject@@B) referenced in function "class qdesigner_internal::QDesignerFormWindowManager * __cdecl qobject_cast(class QObject *)" (??$qobject_cast@PAVQDesignerFormWindowManager@qdesigner_internal@@@@YAPAVQDesignerFormWindowManager@qdesigner_internal@@PAVQObject@@@Z) qdesigner_actions.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static bool __cdecl qdesigner_internal::CodeDialog::showCodeDialog(class QDesignerFormWindowInterface const *,class QWidget *,class QString *)" (__imp_?showCodeDialog@CodeDi
alog@qdesigner_internal@@SA_NPBVQDesignerFormWindowInterface@@PAVQWidget@@PAVQString@@@Z) referenced in function "private: void __thiscall QDesignerActions::viewCode(void)" (?viewCode@QDesignerActions@@AAEXXZ) newform.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static class QImage __cdecl qdesigner_internal::NewFormWidget::grabForm(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QIODevice &,class QString const &,class qdesigner_internal::DevicePr
ofile const &)" (__imp_?grabForm@NewFormWidget@qdesigner_internal@@SA?AVQImage@@PAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@AAVQIODevice@@ABVQString@@ABVDeviceProfile@2@@Z) referenced in function "public: static class QImage __cdecl NewForm::grabForm(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QIODevice &,class QString const &,class qdesigner_internal::DeviceProfile const &)" (?grabForm@NewForm@@SA?AVQImage@@PAVQD
esignerFormEditorInterface@@AAVQIODevice@@ABVQString@@ABVDeviceProfile@qdesigner_internal@@@Z)
newform.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static class QDesignerNewFormWidgetInterface * _
_cdecl QDesignerNewFormWidgetInterface::createNewFormWidget(class QDesignerFormEditorInterface *,class QWidget *)" (__imp_?createNewFormWidget@QDesignerNewFormWidgetInterface@@SAPAV1@PAVQDesignerFormEditorInterface@@PAVQWidget@@@Z) referenced in function "public: __this
call NewForm::NewForm(class QDesignerWorkbench *,class QWidget *,class QString const &)" (??0NewForm@@QAE@PAVQDesignerWorkbench@@PAVQWi
dget@@ABVQString@@@Z) d:\SDK\Qt5.0\qtbase\bin\designer.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 14 unresolved externals
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN\link.EXE"' : return code '0x460'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

Help please!

Vasily Shchukin says:

Forgot some additions:
1. Before this i had errors “duplicate symbols detected” while building ActiveQt module and i disabled it before next building qt5.
2. Important difference from guide http://qt-project.org/wiki/Building_Qt_5_from_Git is also that i used “-static” (I’ll try to build without it and report here).
3. And i tried both – qt5beta2 sources from download sections and fresh sources from git://gitorious.org/qt/qt5.git.

Result is the same yet.

Tuukka Turunen says:

Thank you all for the feedback! This is the comment #100 to this post already :)

But, please use bugreports.qt-project.org for reporting issues. We are actively monitoring that to fix issues found in the beta 2.

What’s happened to the qt_mac_set_dock_menu function? My app won’t compile on the Mac without this as I used it to replace the clumsy notification icon. This will be a major disadvantage if it is taken out for good.

Also, I need a way to detect X11 now that the Q_WS_X11 define is gone – right now, I define it myself (if Q_OS_UNIX is defined but not Cygwin or Mac). Admittedly Wayland will make that more complicated, but I do need a way of detecting a straight Unix system now, because just using #ifdef Q_OS_LINUX won’t work on Solaris, FreeBSD etc.

I notice that the extern function I mentioned in my last comment is mentioned in the documentation (exportedfunctions.html), but it doesn’t link when I try to compile. I haven’t found any explanation as to if or why the function is not in the beta – is it planned for the final release?

JKSH says:

Hi Matthew, please post questions about feature development at the Development mailing list (http://lists.qt-project.org/mailman/listinfo/development). Similarly, you can ask questions about using Qt at the Interest mailing list (http://lists.qt-project.org/mailman/listinfo/interest) or the forums (http://qt-project.org/forums/). Through those channels, your questions are more likely to be seen by someone who knows the answer.

Robin Lobel says:

Are you going to include a “porting a Qt 4.8 app to Qt 5″ ?

I had to figure myself a lot of things while going from Qt 4.8 MingW to Qt 5 MSVC, like:
-“QT += widgets” is now required (before the implicit gui module was enough)
-EACH kind of widget must have its own header specifically included (before, #include was enough). Is that normal ???
-Q_EXPORT_PLUGIN2 has been replaced by Q_PLUGIN_METADATA
-…

Robin Lobel says:

Replying to myself: no need to include each widget header, #include is enough

Robin Lobel says:

QtGui->QtWidget (for some unknown reason the quotes were removed in my comment)

Tuukka Turunen says:

Yes. Migrating from Qt 4 to 5 is very important and we want to provide good support material for this.

...... says:

Norton detects as Suspicious.Cloud and goes into infinite loop.

Hamad says:

just to inform you, Qt 5.0 Beta 2 dose not support retina display.

Bachelors Abroad says:

You’ve made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for more info about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this site.