Qt Creator 2.7.0 RC released

Published Thursday March 7th, 2013 | by

Today we published the Qt Creator 2.7.0 release candidate. Since the set of features is the same as for the beta release of course, I’ll just point you to the blog post by André about that, who summarized it quite nicely.  But of course we sat down and fixed lots of bugs, summing up to a total of 490 changes. Thanks to all who helped by testing, reporting bugs, debugging and actually fixing!

Just to mention a few things: There were lots of fixes to the C++ code model again,  with one fix that almost is a sneaked in feature: The C++ quick fix “Add Definition” now also works for non-member functions. Android support got some polish, like fixing kits when the used NDK changes. The kits received some more love in general, with around 30 fixes alone in the area of tool chains, Qt versions, devices and kit setup. On the debugger front, it’s for example now possible to use mini dumps on Windows. And Leena fixed the documentation all over the place, as always many thanks to her!

Users of the open source version of Qt Creator should jump over to the Qt Project downloads page, commercial customers find their packages in the Customer Portal.

Important note for developers for Madde: Madde support has been disabled by default in Qt Creator 2.7. If you still want to use it, you need to enable it, first run Qt Creator with command line argument “-load Madde” (that is important, otherwise you will lose existing Madde settings like tool chains and Qt versions), then open Help > About Plugins and enable the Madde plugin.

Posted in Qt, QtCreator

45 comments to Qt Creator 2.7.0 RC released

PL Samuel says:

Qt Project downloads page > Access denied

Eike Ziller says:

should work again now

Sonu Lohani says:

Thankyou, I m waiting for the qt 5.1

Lunar says:

Great work! I think the debugger should be improved a lot.

Andre' says:

@Lunar: Which debugger, on which platform, using which language are you referring to? And which kind of improvement are you thinking of?

Ritesh says:

I noticed that for past few releases, Qt Creator has become excruciatingly slow. Adding a “.” or “->” after a variable freezes the entire UI for some seconds. I have switched to Qt 2.4.82 for now, which is quite snappy.
I apologize for not following the blog for quite some time, but has there been any change around this area? I know there were some talks going on to use Clang as a replacement for the inbuilt code model, but not sure if this has already happened and if that is the root cause behind the slowness.

I really like Qt Creator a lot and the new features added are really very helpful. Unfortunately for this annoying behavior of freezing up, I am not able to use the latest version of Qt Creator.

Ritesh says:

QTCREATORBUG-8747 seems to describe the issue I am facing.

Eike Ziller says:

@ritesh: of course we do constant changes in the area of the c++ code model ;). But, it should not be slow and definitely not freeze the UI. Does that happen with any kind of code, e.g. also with a simple dummy UI project? Please create a bug report for this, with details about with what projects this happens for you, and the platform configuration you are working with.

Ritesh says:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I use QtCreator for editing and navigating through our legacy code which runs into millions of lines. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was able to handle the massive code without any issues and did a far better job than VS. Also the time to set it up was almost negligible (unlike VS where I have to create projects and add files to it)

The issue I saw is there in the 2.6.x versions. I haven’t tried it on a small dummy project to narrow down the problem.

Anyway, I downloaded the 2.7.0 RC and do not see that issue anymore. But a new issue though. QtCreator now does not recognize my #includes (No such file or directory tooltip) except for files in the current directory. I think, because of this my auto completion has stopped working altogether (unless I am using a class variable whose .H files is in the current directory)

Will experiment more to see if this is some setup issue. However, 2.4.82 still works like a charm!

Ritesh says:

I imported (File > New > Import Existing) QtCreator source code in both 2.7.0 and 2.4.82. I opened a random file (bookmarkmanager.cpp).
2.4.82 resolves the header file location correctly and I can navigate to those files. 2.7.0 displays a tooltip saying “No such file or directory”

In 2.7.0 when I press F2 over line “Utils::ToolTip”, it doesn’t follow the symbol under the cursor. The same in 2.4.82 works fine.

Looks like a bug to me. I will create a bug report for this from home.

Bojan says:

I can confirm that 2.7 has some performance issues compared to 2.6.

I filed a bug report for beta: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTCREATORBUG-8747

I hope it gets fixed for final release. It makes QtC unusable for me.

Reto says:

The indentation of lambdas works very well. Thanks!

Xenakios says:

Windows build is completely broken. .pro files can’t be opened.

Xenakios says:

The RC build also destroys the kit settings so that a previous version (namely 2.6.81 build 401 which is what has worked for me so far) doesn’t have them anymore in a working state.

Eike Ziller says:

You mean that for you “File > Open File or Project” does not open .pro files? That works fine here.

Eike Ziller says:

If you ever deactivated any plugins, you might want to make sure that the Qt4ProjectManager plugin is enabled in Help > About Plugins

Krzysztof Kawa says:

I have the same issue. .pro files open in the editor as plain text files and all kits stopped working because all Qt versions were removed. When trying to add Qt versions back manually i get error “The qmake executable […]\qmake.exe” could not be added: no factory found for qmake: […]\bin\qmake.exe” where […] is the path to whatever package I try to add and worked fine in previous versions of creator.

Kayra Akman says:

I had the same problem. It turned out the the Qt4ProjectManager depends also on one of the plugins in the Qt Quick section (I think it is QmlJSTools). This dependancy seems new for QtC 2.7 Since I was not using Qml and was disabling Qt Quick related plugins, the Qt4ProjectManager plugin stopped loading with QtC 2.7. You can see the plugins Qt4ProjectManager depends on in the Details dialog.

The solution is enabling at least QmlJSTools (if I remember that correctly).

Ismael says:

I confirm I had the same problem (none of my projects being able to load), and fixed it enabling QmlJSTools and then Qt4ProjectManager

Krzysztof Kawa says:

Yep, that was it. Thx!

Xenakios says:

Yes, enabling the QmlJSTools plugin now allows opening .pro files. I had the Qml related plugins disabled as I don’t use Qml and the Qml plugins were crashing for me at some point.

Xonakios: Downgrading is not supported, sorry. You can use “-settingspath /new/directory” to move settings into a different directory when testing new versions.

bourne says:

any plan for fixing these feature : http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.creator/7666

it’s cpp parser and code complation is suck !!
it is perfect ide , but have problem !!

bourne says:

is there any need for filling a bug ? should i fill bug about that ??

Andre' says:

@bourne: Yes, of course you should file a bug, preferably with a minimal example to reproduce the issue and perhaps avoiding offensive language.

nRahimi says:

sorry for my bad language .
i report QTCREATORBUG-8927

Dave says:

2.7.0 is markedly better than 2.6.x! I can’t wait for the actual release!

Sonu Lohani says:

Sir,
It is not showing the generated ui files.

Danny says:

Yep I noticed this too.

Danny says:

You guys should get Creator into the Mac AppStore. It’s a viable alternative to XCode.

eliteYang says:

When will release “Qt 5.0.1 for Windows 32-bit VS2012″ ?

Kai Koehne says:

Focus is on 5.0.2, which will probably feature a Qt 5.0.2 for Windows 64-bit VS2012 (no 32 bit though).

HGH says:

Is it still necessary to compile qml2puppet ourselves?

Kai Koehne says:

Yes. We plan to ship precompiled ones with the upcoming 5.0.2 binary packages though.

Hahalj says:

Trying to build this 2.7.0-rc with Qt 5.0.1 but it fails with:

hostosinfo.cpp:42:30: error: ‘GetNativeSystemInfo’ was not declared in this scope

I’ve previously built v. 2.6.1 without any issues.

Anyone that knows what could be the problem?

Eike Ziller says:

GetNativeSystemInfo is a windows system call, WinXP and later.

wouldn’t know why that should not be defined for you (if you are on Windows)

Hahalj says:

I’m on a Win 7 / x64 system and windows.h and winbase.h are in my path. I’m compiling with MinGW.
Are there any new requirements on the MinGW version?

Kai Koehne says:

I can compile creator 2.7 RC with the mingw toolchain that comes with Qt 5.0.1. Anyhow, GetNativeSystemInfo is part of the API of all of the Mingw versions I could get hold of (check MINGWDIR\include\winbase.h). Maybe you’re mixing MSVC and MinGW headers somehow?

On a more general note, I’d recommend the MinGW version that we also ship Qt with (that is, Mingw-builds 4.7.2 ).

Arjan says:

From the MSDN page: To compile an application that uses this function, define _WIN32_WINNT as 0x0501 or later. For more information, see Using the Windows Headers.

When you define _WIN32_WINNT to be 0x0501 it will compile.

HGH says:

I just wonder: Will QtCreator 2.8 come synchronized with Qt 5.1 and be included in the package?

Andre' says:

This depends on the actual release date of Qt 5.1, but it would be more likely to see a Qt Creator 2.7.1 (or 2?) at that time.

[…] Qt Blog TAGS: Developer, qt, Qt […]