Qt Installer Framework 1.3 released

Published Wednesday March 27th, 2013 | by

Thus far, the Qt Installer Framework has been used to create Qt SDK Installers. You can now use it also to create installers for your own applications. This is why we decided to make a formal release for the first time as opposed to just tagging a Git version. Therefore we are offering binary downloads for the major platforms at https://releases.qt-project.org/qt-installer-framework/1.3.0/.

The recent months were mostly used for stabilization, cleanup work and improving the documentation. But in the 14 months since 1.2 some new features were introduced as well.

Notable new features include the possibility to translate the installer (German and Russian translation are included). The included 7zip library was updated to the current version. The Installer Framework was made compatible with Qt 5 (and continues to work with Qt 4 of course). For online installers, repositories using https are now supported in addition to http.

Notable contributions are the Russian translation by Ivan Komissarov and Support for the BB10 SDK by Andreas Holzammer. Thank you!

Bookmark and Share

Posted in Announcements, cross-platform, framework

26 comments to Qt Installer Framework 1.3 released

Evan says:

Can’t wait to use it! Thanks for the great work!

Interesting! I’m currently using NSIS on Windows but I’m happy to have the Qt Installer Framework as an alternative. I found the documentation with a bit of effort, so here it is for those interested: http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qtifw-1.3/index.html

M.S. Babaei says:

Thanks for the link.

smoggy says:

Great stuff !

danny says:

Very interesting. It would be great to have a single installer framework for Mac and Windows.

Fabio says:

Wonderful! Will this tool be part of the upcoming Qt5 releases or Qt5 SDK (like Qtcretor etc…)?

TheTrueDigia says:

I think i’m going to rent an office, put a logo on top, call it Figia, or whatever.. hopefully lots of people will come to work for me in exchange for peanuts, since we are really serious company.

Robin Lobel says:

You obviously have personnal issues with Digia since you make this kind of comment on every news here, but I’m not sure this is the best place to expose your anger, it doesn’t help much Qt users.

Dan says:

What is your problem. Did you apply for work as a receptionist at Digia and get turned down. Digia probable has a pay roll with a hundred people on it who develope and maintain Qt. Developers like me are very greatful they do this, and I hope they are extremly succesful with their commerical efforts, as their success is really my success.

Please go get help

TheTrueDigia says:

No offense, it’s not personal, but it’s very likely you people are just being used.
Digia has been doing the same kind of business for over a decade now and it’s very unlikely they have changed.

TheTrueDigia says:

To be more precise, it’s the kind of company that when things are going well it’s because they (above) are smart and successful, but when things aren’t going well it must be others people fault. Guess what, it’s very easy to elude yourself that way, but also you became something you were not wishing to become.

Jagadish says:

Good to hear….Great work.
Now i will swtich from Install Jammer to Qt Installer to create Installers for my applications….

michal says:

Qt Installer Framework is a great tool and I have been using it for a while to create miltiplatform installers. It would be great if Qt Installer Framework would be integrated into QtCreator and into qmake project files, where I could have the application and it’s installer configured from one place (.pro file). Will this ever be possible?

Fabio says:

This is what I already think should be done!!! +1!!!

Robin Lobel says:

Wow I had no idea this installer existed !
So far I was using Bitrock Installbuilder, an excellent multiplatform installer, but it is far from free…
Thanks for releasing this free alternative, I am not aware of any free good multiplatform installer otherwise !

I read in the file ‘testapp.pro’ in the examples\testapp subdirectory:

warning(“You can use this example only with a static build of Qt and IFW!”)

Does this mean you must use static linking?
If you can only use the Installer Framework with static linking, would that not be a problem with the LGPL version of Qt?

Regards, Matt

Niels Weber says:

It doesn’t make much sense to give out a non static installer as you usually want to provide a single file. This said it only concerns the installer itself, not the application you are shipping. So I fail to see the problem.

Fabio says:

Really I do not understand your answer. You could be perfectly satisfied to distribute .zip archive within the installer executable and the qt runtime! Why not?!? This is a shame!

In the other hand, if you prefer to distribute a single executable for the installer, you shoud have the option to static link the installer executable and release to the public the source code for the installer only.
The installer will install the application/library of the application, despite the application was statically or dinamically linked (in the second case it will install the appropriate runtime). As far as I understand, this second option is possible, did you understand the same?

Fabian B. says:

Obviously you need to link Qt statically when building the installer framework itself, otherwise you’d have to ship the DLLs needed by the installer framework alongside with the installer executable, which makes an installer pointless.

However, this does not restrict the *content* which the installer framework is installing.

If your content is an application using dynamically linked Qt Apps, that has nothing to do with the installer itself. You can include any content you want.

Robin Lobel says:

Are the Installer Framework binaries distributed by Digia statically linked or dynamically linked ?

Hey guys I’m going to try to rectify the misunderstanding in the last few comments

When you download and install it they have an exception licence included.
So that means the installers you create will be statically linked into one exe. :)
The contents of the installer (ie. your program you bundle) however is obviously not covered by the exception.

This means
That if you make a qt app you and link it statically, you must have a licence.

This also means
That you are able to created a dynamically linked qt app (ie. the free one) and put it within the static installer for free with no commercial licence free of charge. hince the exception ;)

Hope that clears all that up.

Many Thanks to digia and the qt devs for providing this, I really liked your installers and now I can have one myself :)

fonzi337 says:

Thanks for clearing up Martell, this is great news! I’m excited to give this a try for my project. :)

Thanks to Digia for developing and releasing this! Looking forward to future releases as well (e.g., full integration with Qt Creator). :)

Fabio says:

Thank you for clarification!