Qt 5.1.1 Released

Published Wednesday August 28th, 2013 | by

Today, we released Qt 5.1.1, the first patch release for the Qt 5.1 series. It provides many improvements over Qt 5.1.0 as well as packages Qt Creator 2.8.1 to the installers. As a patch release, it does not add new features and remains binary compatible with Qt 5.1.0.

It has been 8 weeks since we released Qt 5.1.0 and we have received a lot of good feedback on the improvements it provides. Many of you have already taken the Qt Quick Controls for a spin or tried out the mobile ports for Android and iOS. Based on the feedback received from the Qt Enterprise customers as well as the whole Qt community, Qt 5.1.1 is providing improvements over Qt 5.1.0 throughout different Qt modules. We are also including Qt Creator 2.8.1 for easy installation via offline and online installers.

For a detailed list of changes in Qt 5.1.1, please have a look at the change files included in each module – or check the most important ones: qtbase, qtdeclarative, qtquickcontrols and qtmultimedia, as well as the Qt Creator 2.8.1 release announcement, and the page listing known issues for Qt 5.1.1.

As always, Qt 5.1.1 maintains both forward and backward source and binary compatibility with Qt 5.1.0. We are continuously ironing out the glitches and improving the quality with every new release. If you encounter  a previously unknown bug in Qt 5, please help us to improve the product in future releases by reporting it to bugreports.qt-project.org, or contact us via Qt Enterprise Customer Portal.

Qt 5.1.1 is now tagged in the Qt Project repository. The source packages and installers for Qt 5.1.1 are available through the online installer, qt-project.org/downloads for open-source users, and in the Qt Enterprise Customer Portal for existing customers. If you would like to try the Qt Enterprise version of Qt 5.1.1, please get the 30-day free trial.

Posted in Qt, Releases

46 comments to Qt 5.1.1 Released

Julien McArdle says:

Thank you for another release!

Robin Lobel says:

Yay!

Alan says:

Just upgraded both Qt and Qt Creator, and everything works fine so far. My project builds and runs fine on Windows 7, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32- and 64-bit and OS X 10.8.4. Nice!

Only one (minor) thing: when running the maintenance tool, I asked for Qt 5.1.0 to be completely removed from my system, but that didn’t happen even though the maintenance tool tells me that it’s going to remove things. So, I ended up removing Qt 5.1.0 manually on all my boxes. From there, I thought I would check what the maintenance tool tells me and, well, it tells me that Qt 5.1.0 is still installed…. ?!

Kai Koehne says:

That’s weird … would be great to get a installer log (run installer with -v) in the step where you removed Qt 5.1.0.

Anyway, maybe file a bug report with the exact steps you did? https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG

HGH says:

The update tool reported that the qmake crashed and ask me to retry. It appears it installed but then Qt Creator still detected 5.1.0 even though I uninstalled it. It also detected the MinGW compiler twice (two entries).
But what is more interesting to me, why wasn’t MinGW updated to 4.8.1?

Kai Koehne says:

Doh … There’s already a bug report for the qmake crash: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTIFW-343 . Maybe you can extend this, I wasn’t able to reproduce this myself so far.

The double MinGW toolchain registration is also a known issue … right now there’s one registered toolchain per Qt version, which is admittedly a bad idea .. we’ll fix this for the next release.

Mingw wasn’t updated because we usually don’t do this for patch level releases. Anyhow, we consider upgrading the Mingw version for 5.2: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-32868 .

Hiveng says:

can’t build qmake
error in qfilesystemengine_win.cpp:578:17
FILE_ID_128 has previous declaration

win8 64bit, gcc 4.8.1 (mingw builds 64bit)

Kai Koehne says:

Looks like your MinGW-w64 headers are very new: http://www.mail-archive.com/mingw-w64-public@lists.sourceforge.net/msg08073.html . Anyhow, i just built qmake successfully with x64-4.8.1-release-posix-seh-rev3.7z, which is AFAIK the newest mingw-builds package. Which package are you using?

Hiveng says:

i used x64-4.8.1-release-posix-sllj-rev4, i downgraded to rev3 and it compiles successfully thank

gone says:

cool
ps any timeline for pyside?
I want to move to qt5 quickly but I’m only experienced in python

Malek khlif says:

it’s amazing. Good Good Job. congratulation :) :) :)

Alan says:

Ok, I have just tried to upgrade my home computer and… I keep getting a message that reads “Could not move Updates.xml to target location. Error: Destination file exists”. Kind of a useless message to be honest.

Anyway, I have tried many times, but to no avail. I have then completely removed my copy of Qt 5.1.0, thinking that I could then install Qt 5.1.1 afresh, but… yep, you guessed it right: “Could not move Updates.xml to target location. Error: Destination file exists”!

So, how can I install Qt 5.1.1?

FWIW, I have tried with -v and noticed that the installer creates a temporary folder where a file called Updates.xml exists. So, could it be that the installer is trying to move that file to itself?

iikka says:

On which platform that error shows up? Have you used the “Admin mode” to run the installer? On Windows it is suggested to not install nor use maintenance tool with “Admin mode” as it may cause permission problems later on.
Did the installation directory you chose require admin rights?

Alan says:

I am indeed on Windows, but no I did’t use admin mode, just normal user mode. As for where I installed it / tried to install it, it’s simply to C:\Qt. So, no need for admin rights.

This being said, I don’t officially have Qt installed on my system anymore. Yet, I can’t install it afresh. So, could it be there are still some registry settings hanging around and messing things up?

iikka says:

We’ll try to reproduce the issue. Was there a Jira ticket opened for this case? If not please fill a ticket with as detailed steps (and full environment description) as possible to reproduce the case.

Alan says:

That’s the problem, I did exactly the same thing on both my work and home computers, and while it worked fine on my work computer, it didn’t on my home computer.

I am starting to think that my home computer could be in an ‘unstable’ state. Anyway, I have meant to re-install it for some time, so maybe now would be a good time…

iikka says:

I was able to reproduce this on Linux-x64 system. We’ll look this further.

Alan says:

Well, in some way, it’s good that you guys managed to reproduce it. Still, is there a way around it? I mean, right now, I just can’t install Qt 5.1.1 and it’s bugging me…

Tim Jenssen says:

Please cleanup your temp directory, there is a weakness inside the code which results in the same temp directory in some situations.

stereomatching says:

Qt5.1.1(MinGW) do not release prebuild version of angle?Any plan to support it in the future?Thanks

Kai Koehne says:

I don’t think there are any plans to support it any time soon, no.

I don’t think we can afford building any more combinations of compiler x bitness x angle/opengl … This just multiplies the testing effort + the risk that a release is delayed due to build issues.

So the best chance for an angle build is to drop the opengl one, but before doing that I’d prefer having feedback from a lot of users that this is what they want :)

(Btw, are you sure you actually need Angle? See also http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-on-Windows-ANGLE-and-OpenGL )

stereomatching says:

Thanks Kai Koehne.The only reason I want angle is I do not want my user to have to install a recent graphics card driver, I never forget how frustration the first time I want to install a video player on linux.For user, they expect the software can “click and play”.

Kai Koehne says:

Understood. Note though that the OpenGL / graphics driver dependency only matters if you’re using Qt Quick 2, or the OpenGL module.

If you’re ‘just’ using QtWiget’s you actually want to stick to the OpenGL build, since you don’t have to ship the angle libraries :)

Alan says:

Just out of curiosity, what version of Windows do your users use? Wouldn’t you expect most recent computers and versions of Windows (i.e. 7 and 8?) to have decent graphic cards and drivers? More importantly, if you want to support Windows XP, then I understand that ANGLE is not an option.

stereomatching says:

My target is win7 by now(a small project), although my laptop(lenovo g770) default os is win7 but it do not fully support the features of QtQuick2(component Image can’t decode some images, but angle version can), that is why I think angle maybe more appropriate to win7.

PKT says:

QTBUG-31817 remains unresolved

qtFan says:

Where can i find the release notes or the changelog?

Tuukka Turunen says:

@qtFan: For a detailed list of changes in Qt 5.1.1, please have a look at the change files included in the source code of each module. Or check the most important ones: qtbase, qtdeclarative, qtquickcontrols and qtmultimedia from the blog post links above.

g1284213 says:

Couldn’t the V8 for qtquick 2 be ported to IOS using a V8 CPU simulator like this guy did?

checkout here

he is trying to get his fork in V8 official too

code.google.com/v8

Even in emulation I think that would be quick enough for scripting a GUI…

[…] Подробности о Qt >>> Подробности о QtCreator и Qt Installer […]

M.S. Babaei says:

I’m on the verge of releasing my first Android app using Qt. Since there were some anouying bugs on 5.1.0, I’ve been waiting for this. Good job!

We stumbled over here from a different website and thought I might check things out.
I like what I see so now i’m following you.
Look forward to checking out your web page again.

lolo says:

It’s broken…
I compiled with VS2012 and when I try to open the designer.exe a dialog appears and says some error about platforms and windows…. 8(

Tuukka Turunen says:

@Iolo: If you have problems building Qt, please check the instructions at http://qt-project.org/wiki/Building_Qt_5_from_Git – or maybe you can use the pre-built binaries for VS2012?

lolo says:

I build it manually from .zip source, I don’t like GIT.
5.1.0 worked perfectly.. I think you changed something about plugins/platforms and the the .zip source package for Windows is bugged 8(

Here’s a screenshot of the problem:

Jani Heikkinen says:

I compiled codes from same zip packages and everything works as expected. I can launch Designer as well. Have you tried to recompile?

Widget says:

Great but still feel it is wrong direction.

That’s great news that the bling performance is getting better for Android and other type of handheld devices. but is that what your customers really want? Are the Oil & Gas, Animation Tool Studios, ECAD, and Financial really concerned about porting their million line in house applications to tables and phones, or care that much about bling?

What might these companies care more about is not how fast the data gets displayed, but how fast it gets computed and sorted, filtered and then displayed. Perhaps you can do real world test that measures these other legs of the chair. “Ahhh” , you say, “well you just do those in C++ which is 100 times faster then javascript”. But then your asking your customer to make their design twice as complicated. I don’t think this a great selling point. I don’t know how well Digia is doing but as a guy who does QT consulting the number of QT jobs appears to be going down. I think your emphasis on mobile apps kind of scares your bread and butter desktop industries away.

All I am saying is don’t ignore the desktop guys and what they need. Keep Qt/ C++ healthy.

Tuukka Turunen says:

@Widget: Rest assured – we are not forgetting widgets and desktop. A lot of buzz is around the new mobile ports, but there has been a hefty amount of improvements for other things as well in Qt 5.1.1.

dado says:

For me Qt, is all about C++. I don’t care about mobile world which is clearly dominated by Android and iOs-objectiveC.
If I were Digia, just forget mobile and center in desktop where Qt is strong for windows/linux/osx programming.

Fabio says:

Hooopssss, now the same code and project used with Qt5.1.0 does not run anymore on android, or better, it seems to run but it execute few line of the main() function (including QApp instantiation) it give an FPE exception. This occur in both debug and release build.
The last application output lines are:

W/dalvikvm( 1192): dvmFindClassByName rejecting ‘org/qtproject/qt5/android/QtNativeInputConnection’
W/dalvikvm( 1192): dvmFindClassByName rejecting ‘org/qtproject/qt5/android/QtExtractedText’
D/dalvikvm( 1192): GC_FOR_ALLOC freed 279K, 7% free 5737K/6151K, paused 31ms
I/dalvikvm-heap( 1192): Grow heap (frag case) to 6.401MB for 710416-byte allocation
D/dalvikvm( 1192): GC_FOR_ALLOC freed 1K, 7% free 6430K/6855K, paused 31ms
D/dalvikvm( 1192): GC_CONCURRENT freed 6K, 7% free 6427K/6855K, paused 9ms+3302ms

This on a physic Androit 4.0.4 device (API level 15).

Any hint?

Fabio says:

I use Ant 1.9.2, android sdk update to the last version of it’s components, and Android NDK R9

Fabio says:

The same building on Linux for the ARM pysical device with Android 4.0.4 API 15 or building on windows for the X86 simulator with Android API 16.

Fabio says:

Ok, I found where the issue is, in a procedure I forgot that I added AFTER the tests with Qt5.1.0.
The problem does not occur for desktop builds due to an ifdef…

I’ve wrote someting like:
QString(“X=%1 Y=%2 Z=%3″).arg(4, 3, 0);
instead of
QString(“X=%1 Y=%2 Z=%3″).arg(4).arg(3).arg(0);

But I needed to debug on desktop because I cannot see variable value while debugging on android with QTCretor so for this trivial error I spent some time.

ali failee says:

nice job, it was very helpful .