Qt Creator 3.0 beta released

Published Wednesday October 23rd, 2013 | by

Together with Qt 5.2 beta, we release the Qt Creator 3.0 beta today.

Many things have been improved and added in this version, including:

Improved Android support: Aside from many bug fixes, we added support for the new deployment mechanism available in Qt 5.2. This was described in more detail in a separate blog post.

Experimental support for iOS: Qt 5.2 comes with full support for iOS, and Qt Creator 3.0 adds experimental support for building, deploying and running Qt applications on the iOS simulator and iOS devices. (Experimental means that you have to turn on this feature in Help > About Plugins > Device Support > iOS.)

Experimental support for ‘bare metal’ devices: Also experimental is support for ‘bare metal’ devices, meaning that Qt Creator only requires a gdb-compatible debugger running on it. Many thanks to Tim Sander for this contribution!

For C++, “Optimize For Loop” and “Extract Constant as Function Parameter” refactoring actions have been added, and you can now specify special preprocessor directives for the internal code model for individual files (see the little ‘#’ button next to the line number information in the editor tool bar). Also new is a view showing the include hierarchy of a file. Special thanks for this feature, and many many bug fixes, go to Przemyslaw Gorszkowski.

Also, the application and compile output now support ANSI colors, the diff viewer can be switched between side-by-side and inline views, and too many other things to mention them in this blog post.

Download Qt Creator 3.0 beta standalone

Download Qt 5.2 beta (includes Qt Creator)

Qt 5.2 beta known issues

Posted in Qt, QtCreator

19 comments to Qt Creator 3.0 beta released

Roland Wolf says:

In case Qt Creator complains about not being able to load the Help plugin: Uncheck Help in Help->About-Plugins, restart Creator, check Help again and it works
Again Thank you very much Trolls, Nokias, Digias for the great Qt and Creator.

Lilian says:

No problems with that but I found another problem. The “Options” is opening very hard on my Windows 7 64-bit. It gets to the point that Qt Creator says “Not responding” and then after a few seconds opens the “Options” window.
And it does it specifically when “Build & Run” is selected. If for example you select something else and close the window, when you open it again it will open as normal but now when you press on “Build & Run” it will load hard too, in my case Qt Creator goes to “Not responding” state(and I have it installed on an SSD).

Anyone else having this problem?(I am thinking of reporting a bug but I have the impression that I am the only one having this since I can’t imagine the Qt Creator developers ignoring this).

cptG says:

same here.

Cyttorak says:

Great news, specially the big job on android and iOS support :D

I wonder if there is any plan about C++11 new constructor syntax, I mean

std::string a{“I am string”};

Currently Qt Creator does not display constructor’s arguments, while it does with the traditional () constructor.

Nikolai Kosjar says:

Shout definitely be fixed. Please report at https://bugreports.qt-project.org/ .

pete says:

Any news about Clang integration?

Dan says:

Big thanks to Qt Digia.

ShiftZ says:

Again, no clang code model plugin. =( wip/clang branch lies in ruins. No body care.

Nikolai Kosjar says:

This does not mean that the clang plugin is discarded.

Actually there were some refactorings/abstractions to the internal code model in order to better/properly integrate the clang plugin without breaking current functionality.

When this is finished, the clang branch will get merged into master (not getting out of sync anymore…), then being available as an experimental plugin. Earliest release it *might* be available is 3.1. If you are interested in accelerating this development, feel free submit patches at https://codereview.qt-project.org/ .

ShiftZ says:

Why would one prefer original code model instead of clang? There was a performance issue, but at present i have instant reaction on my ancient Core 2 Duo.

Nikolai Kosjar says:

This is not about either internal codemodel or clang code model in general. Since the clang plugin does not provide every functionality the internal code model offers, it hooks in into the internal code model and replaces the parts it can replace.

Also, the application and compile output now support ANSI colors, (…)

I remember asking for support for ANSI colors less than a year ago in the bug tracker, and recently saw some activity around it. Thanks a lot for implementing this!

Danny says:

Creator keeps getting better! My favorite software and a great case of ‘dogfooding’ as far as Qt is concerned.

Looking forward to full LLDB support.

Jens Puhr says:

QtCreator is a really nice tool, and I would use it, but it’s fully useless if you begin to use the Boost C++ library. I reported it (QTCREATORBUG-9544), but nobody seems to care. QtCreator is freezing, because its indexer is overwhelmed with Boost, and unfortunately cannot be disabled.

Danny says:

We use boost in out project with Creator (shared pointers, assign, UUID, utilities, containers etc) and haven’t notice any problems.

HGH says:

The QtQuick designer doesn’t show display the design (a Qt Quick controls project) :)

Alex says:

Can someone explain what for is useful “special preprocessor directives for the internal code model for individual files”?

Stephen R. Besch says:

IMO the Beta release is not ready for prime time. When I install on Ubuntu 13.04, Creator it seems to run, but Help doesn’t work, it keeps deleting the debugger settings and it can’t find any of the standard Qt Classes. I could probably make this thing work if I was willing to spend several days scouring the internet and sorting through hundreds of answers to questions that often are answering some other question any way. The installer package has a long way to go before it can be considered a stable release.

Jared says:

I love qt creator and trying the latest versions.

This version has some serious unresponsiveness issues that I’ve never experienced before. It lags for a few seconds and I can’t do anything.

Is this a known bug?

I build from source and am in Ubuntu 12.04.