Qt 5.2.1 Released

Published Wednesday February 5th, 2014 | by

Today, we have released Qt 5.2.1. It provides many improvements over Qt 5.2.0 as well as packages Qt Creator 3.0.1. As a patch release, it does not add new features and remains binary compatible with Qt 5.2.0.

Qt 5.2 introduced new iOS and Android ports, as well as a hefty amount of other new functionality. Based on the feedback received from the Qt Enterprise and Qt Mobile customers as well as the whole Qt community, Qt 5.2.1 is providing many improvements.

The most notable improvements in Qt 5.2.1 are numerous JavaScript and QML specific performance optimisations in the new Qt Quick Engine, as well as fixes in the iOS and Android ports. With Qt 5.2.1 we use iOS 7.0 SDK for building the Qt for iOS binaries and can now leverage the latest functionality. The binaries are still compatible with older iOS versions, so applications work on all supported iOS versions. We have also made the “Getting Started” documentation for Android and iOS and examples easier to use as well as fine tuned many other items.

For a detailed list of changes in Qt 5.2.1, please have a look at the change files within each module, as well as the Qt Creator 3.0.1 release announcement.

As always, Qt 5.2.1 maintains both forward and backward, source and binary compatibility with earlier releases in the Qt 5 series. We are continuously ironing out the glitches and improving the quality with every new release. If you encounter a previously unknown bug in Qt 5, please help us to improve the product in future releases by reporting it to bugreports.qt-project.org, or contact us via the Qt Enterprise Customer Portal, or Qt Account.

In addition to Qt 5.2.1 and Creator 3.0.1 we are releasing a preview of Visual Studio Add-In 1.2.3 that brings support for VS2013 as well as some other improvements. Qt 5.2.1 does not offer pre-build binaries for VS2013, so you need to compile Qt yourself to use it. Final release of VS Add-In 1.2.3 as well as VS2013 binaries are planned to be released in conjunction with Qt 5.3.

Qt 5.2.1 is now tagged in the Qt Project repository and available via both online and offline installers. If you do not have the Qt 5 online installer, wish to use the offline packages, or get the VS Add-In 1.2.3 preview, please visit the Qt Enterprise Customer Portal, or download the open-source installers from Qt Project downloads page.

If you would like to try Qt Enterprise, please download the free Qt Enterprise 30 day trial.

If you are developing for Android or iOS, check out Qt Mobile, or sign up to Qt Account to get the free 30 day trial of Qt Mobile.

Posted in Releases

45 comments to Qt 5.2.1 Released

7 says:

Good news, now if you only fix the broken online installer.

Tuukka Turunen says:

@7: Can you give some details how the online installer is broken? At least earlier today things worked great. One thing that may happen is that some mirror has partially replicated the content and causes a temporary problem in some location.

7 says:

Well, it just doesn’t work, I’ve tested under windows and linux, I either get a “could not download meta information for…” error, or a “bad hash” error, or most of the times nothing, the progress bar just goes and goes forever and nothing happens.

I’ve discovered and posted the issue in the qtproject forum yesterday, seems like other users are experiencing the same problems as well. Today it is no better.

Tuukka Turunen says:

@7: This sounds like you are using such open-source mirror that is not fully or correctly replicated. It should work if you wait until the mirroring completes or use another mirror. Most open-source mirrors work already, some may take more time. Qt Mobile and Qt Enterprise downloads should also work fine already now from all locations.

7 says:

Where can I get list of the repositories to try another one?

Jani Heikkinen says:

Actually it is pretty difficult to define which mirror is used to get stuff through online installer. @7: please inform us if you see these issues later. Those should be solved when online content is mirrored properly as Tuukka said.

7 says:

I’ve been trying with little to no success, a few times the installer manages to connect and begin installation but it drops occasionally, and still cannot even begin most of the time.

And when it does work the speed is atrocious, I’ve been installing Qt many times with the online installer, and usually the speed is decent, but today it struggles to maintain 100k.

There is definitely something wrong going on with the mirrors. Better someone take a closer look.

Tuukka Turunen says:

@7: Please make a bug report with details including location and which mirror you have been using. It could be that something has synced incorrectly to the mirror closest to you.

JKSH says:

Hello Tuukka,

“Closest mirror” by itself is an insufficient criterion. Several users have reported unusable mirrors at http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.user/10166 — mostly users in the Asia-Pacific, but there’s also one report from Israel.

I got better performance by choosing mirror that’s further away.

Tim Jenssen has started at task 2 months ago at https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTIFW-441 but it seems to have been abandoned. Could you please look into it?

Tuukka Turunen says:

@JKSH: I have been contact with open-source mirrors in Australia a couple of times, but so far they have not yet started to mirror Qt. It would be recommended that the Qt open-source users in Australia contact mirror providers and ask. It is quite easy to mirror Qt, instructions at: http://qt-project.org/wiki/mirror_howto

Scorp1us says:

You should change the installer to NOT run Qt Creator if you are installing wuth super-user perms. You already know this, because wuth root, you default the install to /opt without it you put it in the user’s directory. If you launch creator from the installer with root, you end up creating the hidden creator directoy with root in the user’s dir. This leads to problems. Chmod or rm will fix it, but it is a pain.

Also, change the install location from /opt/qt5.2.1 to /opt/qt, so that things end up in /opt/qt/5.2.1 rather than /opt/qt5.2.1/5.2.1, so we don’t fill /opt with more than one Qt directory.

Thanks.

Bart says:

I do install with sudo to /opt, but always uncheck “Launch Qt Creator” at the end of the installation. This prevents the exact problem you desribe. Preventing launching when installing as root would help.

I agree with your other points.

Kai Koehne says:

Doh! I thought we fixed the Qt Creator launch for root a long time ago .. but apparently it was reverted later on in the cycle :(

Sorry. We’ll make sure it’s fixed in the next release.

Peter Housel says:

Hi, I just wanted to note that as of right now (Feb 5 21:48:06 UTC) there’s no v5.2.1 tag in the repositories on Gitorious.

Jani Heikkinen says:

Tags should be in place now

Martin flahault says:

Nice !

Dan says:

Qt5.2.1 do not support an easier way to acquire the buffer camera yet?

Puzzled says:

In “http://qt-project.org/downloads”, talking about the “Qt 5.2.1 for Android (Linux 32-bit, 490 MB)” file, when you try to download it, you see it’s 848M (!).

From Qt 5.2.0 to Qt 5.2.1, the size of that Qt file was doubled!
We can also see the difference in

It’s supposed to be a bugfix release, but went from more than 400M to more than 800M. Is there an error?

Jani Heikkinen says:

Thanks for your comment. We will investigate why the android package is that big.

lcf says:

VS 2013 is pretty long on the market, even got Update 1, and it’s only Express Edition available na Microsoft pages… and yet, i’s not supported in latest Qt released in 2014. Guys, get real, it’s not even remotely funny.

Tuukka Turunen says:

@lcf: VS2013 works already with Qt 5.2.1, you just need to compile yourself. Pre-built binaries for VS2013 come with Qt 5.3.

lcf says:

But why all the people around the world have to compile it by themselves, if that can be done once and properly by you? Lots of wasted time, and energy, I’d say.

If it’s easy to do – why no binaries provided? If it’s hard – people new to Qt will struggle more than you.

Tuukka Turunen says:

@lcf: We were not able to include VS2013 fully to Qt 5.2 release cycle because we were quite busy with adding Android and iOS, and also because VS2013 came quite close to the 5.2 release. It is one of the priority items to include to pre-built binaries.

Christian L. says:

Just tried to compile Qt 5.2.1 with VS 2013 for x64 and got this:

C:\VisualStudio2013Libs\Qt-5.2.1-x64\qtbase\lib\Qt5Qmld.dll : fatal error LNK112
0: 7 nicht aufgelöste Externe
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: “”C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0
\VC\BIN\amd64\link.EXE””: Rückgabe-Code “0x460″
Stop.
\VC\BIN\amd64\nmake.exe””: Rückgabe-Code “0x2″
Stop.

Christian L. says:

Ok, I forgot to install Ruby, Perl and Python. Now it seems, that it works.

Daniel Damari says:

“Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.”

lol.. why can’t I update it? :C

Jani Heikkinen says:

Hi Daniel. Could you explain your problem a bit more: Which installer you are using etc.

Jim Cramer says:

Hi, I’m trying install 5.2.1 on a Mac but both the online and offline installers do not like a space in the installation path:
/Volumes/Data HD/Users/jimcramer/Qt
Haven’t seen this in earlier versions.

jcm says:

Thanks!
I wonder is this error reappeared in mavericks though:

CMake Error at /Users/Meireles/Developer/Qt5.2.1/5.2.1/clang_64/lib/cmake/Qt5Gui/Qt5GuiConfigExtras.cmake:9 (message):
Failed to find “gl.h” in
“/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers;/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Headers”.

QT_Commercial_customer says:

I belive that bugs reported from commercial customer like us (in other words, customers that pay to obtain a support) should be prioritezed. We report all bugs prioritezed by QT Team as “P2: important”, but most of them, after 1 year, are still pending. This as example: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-33667. The widget you are working on become black! How we explain it to our customers?

Tuukka Turunen says:

@Commercial_customer: I am sorry to hear that you feel we are not adequately addressing the bugs that are crucial to your application. We do prioritise bug fixes directly based on the feedback we receive from customers. Unfortunately we have not been able to address all bugs as fast as we should. However, we have been able to resolve many issues reported by commercial licensees also in Qt 5.2.1. We continue improving quality with every release.

DavidB says:

I was able to replicate your error on Linux, but did find a work around for you. Reimplement. showEvent() method: (Hope html formats here)

class Dialog : public QDialog {

if (firstTime) {
m_findWidget->hide();
firstTime = false;
}
QDialog::showEvent(s);
}

Found it only goes black on first launch but if you put findWidget on top of table, black never shows !!!

DavidB says:

Correction – the above code never goes black. If you don’t do this and put the find widget on top it goes black only on the first time

I’ve asked this before and I’m asking this again. When is Digia going to release plugins to handle things such as in-app purchases, monetization or Facebook integration? Personally I have built my own mini-plugins to handle AdMob interstitials on Android and iOS, but I was expecting Digia to have done those. This would greatly enhance the technical value of a Qt Mobile subscription with respect to the Qt Open source edition. As a Qt mobile subscriber, I am eagerly waiting for such plugins.

Tuukka Turunen says:

@Adrian: We have identified the need and intend to provide good solutions to cover these. The items you mentioned are already possible with Qt, but of course having a convenient cross-platfrom API makes it easier. Meanwhile you can check this post for instructions how to do in-app purchases on Android with Qt 5.2: http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2013/12/12/implementing-in-app-purchase-on-android/

techme says:

Hi, Could you please give some sample/example about AdMob integration in Qt 5.2 Android version?
Yes, we can wait for your Cross platform API though, it is much appreciated if you share some details about it already.
Thanks./

HGH says:

I used the Qt 5.2 maintenance tool to install the latest Qt 5.2.1. Now I cannot uninstall the Qt 5.2.0. I unselect it and I follow the wizard and nothing happens at the end.

Jani Heikkinen says:

Which platform you are using? I quickly tested this use case again in my Windows and it seems to work OK

HGH says:

Windows 7 64bit – I use the MinGW online installer. I tried to uninstall everything but this also failed. The directory wasn’t removed. I haven’t done anything to the installation, so I claim it’s not due to my interference.
So I guess I’ll manually delete everything and reinstall.

HGH says:

I tried to uninstall with the maintenance tool again and this time the folder got deleted.

Salim Hlayel says:

Hopefully bug QTBUG-36789 will be resolved soon.
I can’t downgrade to 5.2.0

Thank you for the great tool and support.

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qthelp-framework.html – “the Qt compressed help file contains all data, so there is no need any longer to ship all single HTML files” – is this why just qch files are included in Qt 5.2+ installers?

ivan says:

Better late than never, but too late to make any difference in the overcrowded app market. For me, this is only about 2.5 years late, and still not really usable without in-app purchase. I feel completely vindicated for ditching Qt!

Jon says:

I needed to install ‘mesa-libGL-devel.x86_64′ to get it to work on Fedor20_64.
Cheers,
Jon

m][sko says:

to digia
Are you planning to release qt demos to iOS store ?
I think same sets of demos as you published in google play will be nice