Qt 5.3.1 Released

Published Wednesday June 25th, 2014 | by

I am happy to announce that today we released Qt 5.3.1. Qt 5.3.0 has been well received with over 500.000 downloads in the first 5 weeks of release. I believe this new patch release is even better offering many improvements over Qt 5.3.0. As a patch release, it does not add new features, but various improvements and fixes. Qt Creator version 3.1.2 also released today, is packaged into the installers. For Qt Enterprise users we are providing a fully supported Qt Quick Compiler 1.0.0, as well as updates for Data Visualization (version 1.1) and Charts (version 1.4).

The focus of Qt 5.3 has been in stability and usability, and we have continued this trend with the improvements now released with Qt 5.3.1. Qt 5.3 introduced  a nice set of features, such as QQuickWidget, Qt WebSockets module, Purchasing API, Compiled Qt Quick, support for WinRT (and Windows Phone), as well as many others. Many of these features have been made even better in Qt 5.3.1 based on feedback received from customers and the whole Qt community.

Improvements in Qt 5.3.1

Overall Qt 5.3.1 contains more than 800 changes compared to Qt 5.3.0, and the most interesting ones depend on what you are creating and which platforms you are using, so I have listed some of the highlights:

• Performance optimizations for Qt Quick Engine’s JIT compiler code generation and important bug fixes, especially on ARM (QTBUG-39289)
  • QAbstractProxyModel::sibling to now works in the same manner as with Qt4
  • Many small fixes to Qt Quick Controls, for example to TableView, TabView, ComboBox and Calendar
  • QQuickWidget now works properly also with ANGLE (QTBUG-39699)
  • Qt Quick animations now work also with static builds (QTBUG-37341)
  • Fix for a regression of QPushButton with QMenu (QTBUG-38550)
  • Fix for a regression on Mac for passing click event to underlaying widget (QTBUG-39322)
  • Initial support for Mac OS X 10.10, more improvements will land on upcoming Qt releases
  • Positioning backend now available also for Windows Phone
  • Accessibility now works on Android also below API level 18 (QTBUG-39508)
  • Fix flashing white screen at startup/shutdown on Android (QTBUG-38960)
  • Support for upcoming Android L (QTBUG-39042)

Change logs of the most important new items are located within each module, and we have collected some of the Change files for Qt 5.3.1 into wiki.

You may also want to check the Known issues for Qt 5.3.1.

Qt Quick Compiler 1.0.0 – Startup is 30-40% Faster

The new Qt Quick Compiler we introduced with Qt Enterprise 5.3 is now available as a fully supported 1.0.0 version. The Qt Quick Compiler takes QML files and compiles them to native code improving run-time performance on operating systems where one cannot use a just-in-time compiler, such as iOS and WinRT.

The compiler is also very useful for improving the load times of QML, as all of the parsing work now happens at compile time. This is especially interesting for startup times of applications and boot times of devices using Qt Quick for the user interface. Our measurements indicate that a typical mid-sized Qt Quick application startup is 30-40% faster with compiled Qt Quick. This is an excellent improvement and we believe we can improve this even more in the future. The highest startup time improvements we’ve gotten are as high as 90% in the case where the application is very JavaScript intense and contains no other items, like graphics, to load at startup.

Qt Quick Compiler is also very beneficial for keeping your source code safe, as it is now no longer necessary to ship the sources of your QML-based application. This makes Qt Quick to be on par with IP protection compared to C++, which is greatly appreciated in many industries.

Qt Creator 3.1.2

The installer packages also include Qt Creator 3.1.2, which provides a set of bug fixes and improvements, for example:

• Fix of a crash in editing with highlight definitions and indentation based folding enabled (QTCREATORBUG-12172)
  • Fix of a GDB crash with large object names (QTCREATORBUG-12330)
  • Fixed filtering in help topic chooser

For full list of changes, please check the Creator 3.1.2 change log.

Charts and Data Visualization

Today we have also released the Qt Enterprise Data Visualization 1.1 and Charts 1.4 add-ons. Both of these contain improvements and new features based on customer requests, for example custom 3D objects and labels can now be drawn in graphs, axis labels are now interactive, and logarithmic axis is now supported also for Data Visualization (as has already been with Charts).

Check the Blog post for more details about Qt Enterprise Data Visualization 1.1 and Charts 1.4 add-ons.

Get Qt 5.3.1

Qt 5.3.1 is now tagged in the Qt Project repository and available via both online and offline installers. If you do not have the Qt 5 online installer or wish to use the offline packages, please Visit Your Qt Account, if you are a Qt Enterprise customer, or download the open-source installers from Qt Project downloads page.

If you would like to try Qt Enterprise, please Download the free Qt Enterprise 30 day trial.

Bookmark and Share

Posted in Releases

36 comments to Qt 5.3.1 Released

Robin says:

Great job !

chezgi says:

thanks.

markg85 says:

Where is the open source spirit in this post?

I mean, sure, great. 5.3.1 is released. Bugs fixed. Just awesome! But if i read the release blog post (this one) i only see enterprise stuff being highlighted.

You highlight 3 things:
1. Qt Quick Compiler
2. Qt Creator
3. Charts and Data Visualization

I can ignore point 2 because it’s just not Qt 5.3.1. It’s the awesome Qt IDE which would deserve a blog post of it’s own imho.

So then i read on and think: “what’s new/improved in qt 5.3.1?” then i read point 1 and 3.. Don’t get me wrong, i’m sure they are awesome technologies, but for me – as a Qt opensource users – they are just not relevant.

I hope you could balance a next post to at least list some more relevant open source Qt improvements.

Ionut Dediu says:

This whole enterprise – open source fork/division is getting out of hands !!! The most important asset for DIgia is the enthusiastic Qt user base that uses open source version and doesn’t have the money to spend on the full enterprise. However all these developers promote Qt to their employees, friends etc and in the end some enterprise licenses get sold. If Digia continues to add MUST-HAVE features only into Qt enterprise than there will be no way for “normal” devs to test these new features and in the end they might get fed up and give up on Qt all together. WHY doesn’t Digia do what Unity 3d does? give Qt for FREE TO EVERYBODY and if that somebody makes let’s say more than 20 000 $ in a year make that developer pay a license !!! This would be so much better than fragmenting Qt and alienating all those hooby (but passionate) devs !!

Ionut Dediu says:

hooby :) )) meant hobby devs

Ionut Dediu says:

hobbyist developers

Sebastian says:

Umm, that’s not how Unity 3D licensing works! The unity 3d free version is severely restricted but can be used to release commercial games as long as you’re not a company with > 100.000$ revenue per year.
Otherwise you have to buy the full unity version.

This is very similar to Qt, except that
- qt free has far fewer feature restriction
- qt free can be used without a revenue-cap in commercial applications
- qt gives you the source code

So, umm, digia: No, please do not adopt the unity 3d business model. ;)

Ionut Dediu says:

My bad then, thanks for clarifying how unity 3d licensing works.

Then forget about any comparison with Unity 3D and just release Qt for free to all (commercial, open source etc) and if a developer makes more than a certain threshold $ per year than make him pay. I would gladly pay if I had the money and I don’t like the forking/fragmenting of the Qt base with this open source/enterprise licenses, it’s ugly !!!
Digia can sell more licenses through word of mouth from those happy hobbyist developers promoting Qt to their employees….

Ionut Dediu says:

or to their employers :)

aportale says:

@markg85: What about the first paragraph “Improvements in Qt 5.3.1″? All of what is mentioned there is open source. Since this is a patch level release for Qt and for Qt Creator (no new features), there is simply not lots of additional shiny stuff to write :)

Alan says:

FWIW, upgrading my copy of Qt (incl. Qt Creator) using the maintenance tool worked perfectly fine on OS X 10.9.3, but failed miserably on Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (sorry, can’t recall the message! My bad!). I had to cancel the upgrade on Windows and Linux, uninstall the whole thing and reinstall afresh. From there, everything looks fine and I am able to build my (CMake-based) project on Windows and OS X, but… not on Linux. On Linux, I get the following error message telling me that EGL couldn’t be found (when trying to find the Help package):

/opt/Qt/5.3/gcc/lib/cmake/Qt5Gui/Qt5GuiConfigExtras.cmake:31 (_qt5_Gui_check_file_exists)
/opt/Qt/5.3/gcc/lib/cmake/Qt5Gui/Qt5GuiConfigExtras.cmake:58 (_qt5gui_find_extra_libs)
/opt/Qt/5.3/gcc/lib/cmake/Qt5Gui/Qt5GuiConfig.cmake:143 (include)
/opt/Qt/5.3/gcc/lib/cmake/Qt5Widgets/Qt5WidgetsConfig.cmake:88 (find_package)
/opt/Qt/5.3/gcc/lib/cmake/Qt5Help/Qt5HelpConfig.cmake:88 (find_package)

Alan says:

I am not the only one to have come across the EGL issue, see QTBUG-39859.

Scorp1us says:

I, for one, welcome my new 5.3.1 versioned overloads!

Drew says:

I got an apparent upgrade failure (Debian Linux). The Maintenance Tool reports an Installer Error, apparently from qtcreator, saying (when upgrading the android_x86 component, for instance):

Error during installation process (qt.53.android_x86):
Execution failed(Unexpected exit code: 2): “/home/drew/Qt//Tools/QtCreator/bin/sdktool addQt –id qt.53.android_x86 –name Qt 5.3 for Android x86 –type Qt4ProjectManager.QtVersion.Android –qmake /home/drew/Qt/5.3/android_x86/bin/qmake”

The error repeats if I click “Retry”, but if I click “Cancel” to abort the upgrade, then the option to upgrade android_x86 (and qtcreator) no longer appears, as if it thinks the upgrade was successful. The applies to other platforms as well, android_armv7, amd64 (g++64bit) etc.

qtcreator 3.1.2 starts, but doesn’t automatically see the new Qt 5.3.1 versions. In fact ~/Qt/5.3/*/bin/qmake is missing on all platforms except android_armv5 (where Qt is registered as 5.3.0)

Drew says:

Then when I go to Package manager in the Maintenance Tool, I find that the platforms (other than android_armv5) actually got deselected by the upgrade, I think from clicking on “Cancel” when the error happened. The platform files (including bin/qmake) are left in place if I click “Ignore” instead. Then the platforms are detected by qtcreator, but marked as not properly installed, so no Qt5.3 kit is available to build with.

Alan says:

Seeing your error message, this is indeed the one I also got on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Jani Heikkinen says:

Thanks for your feedback. We will try to reproduce the issue you reported but at least with first tries I cannot do it with my Ubuntu 11.10 or Win7 64 bit.

Kai Koehne says:

I’m sorry that the update didn’t work for you … can you try again, this time starting the MaintenanceTool with ‘-v’, and post the output e.g. in a new bugreport on bugreports.qt-project.org ? Also please include your components.xml there.

(the return value 2 indicates that the Qt version was still registered inside Qt Creator, which should not happen (TM). The detailed output will hopefully show exactly what’s going on…)

Drew says:

I’ve raised the issue at QTIFW-517. The sdktool error doesn’t seem to be happening now (out of sync mirrors?) but the new qt versions are still reported by QtCreator as “not properly installed”.

Philippe says:

It is always nice to have new versions, but please don’t reduce your efforts on OSX (cocoa) integration, because we’re still behind 4.8.x

Mark Liversedge says:

OS X (I’m on 10.9) seems completely borked ?

- preferences menu appears under options
- menus blanked out
- qmainwindow seems to think a modal dialog is open at startup

.. I could go on .. but there seems something badly wrong ?

5.3.0 doesn’t have such problems.

Tuukka Turunen says:

@Mark: That sounds quite odd. Qt 5.3.1 runs fine on OS X 10.9. Perhaps something went wrong in the installation? Please file a bug report with more details to http://bugreports.qt-project.org. If you are Qt Enterprise customer, you can also contact our support via Qt Account to sort things out for you.

Mark Liversedge says:

I’m checking my code first, just in case, but a lot of the issues I am seeing look familiar and seem to have returned from 5.1 and 5.2.

I am REALLY grateful for QT and am a HUGE fan of the tool. But I feel that OS X support has got much worse in QT5 from QT4.

I keep hoping that in 5.1 or 5.2 or 5.3 or now, 5.4 things will improve …

RealNC says:

I updated the 64-bit Linux version using the maintenance tool. I’m on Gentoo Linux. On startup, Qt Creator cannot load the “Help” plugin and is unresponsive (frozen controls inside the main window.) I had to disable that plugin.

Error:

/home/realnc/opt/Qt/Tools/QtCreator/lib/qtcreator/plugins/QtProject/libHelp.so: Cannot load library /home/realnc/opt/Qt/Tools/QtCreator/lib/qtcreator/plugins/QtProject/libHelp.so: (/usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: undefined symbol: UCNV_TO_U_CALLBACK_STOP)

Ghaith B says:

Same problem here with Qt. Running Gentoo amd64, the help plugin crashes at every startup

Kai Koehne says:

Huh. I guess this is not a regression from 5.2 , or 5.3.0 then? It seems like your system libxml2.so links against ICU, which is not BC compatible to the ICU we ship in the installer. … Created QTBUG-39897 to track it, please add all distributions / configurations that are affected there (especially if you’re having the problem with a non-Gentoo distribution). I’ll also add it to the Known Issues.

I’m afraid the workaround is to build Qt / Qt Creator from sources, or recompile libxml2 without ICU dependency.

rovshan says:

Thanks for great releases.
Will there be a complete Qt 5 book any time soon?

Violet Giarffe says:

Windows Qt 5.3.1 that I downloaded with the online installer seems broken. qmake -v shows me this:

>QMake version 3.0
>Using Qt version 5.3.1 in c:/work/build/PADDING/lib

Where “c:/work/build/PADDING/lib” is NOT my QTDIR, it must be hardcoded somewhere in the qmake. Subsequently, qmake -tp vc -r call fails: “Could not find qmake configuration file win32-msvc2013.” I assume it’s because it thinks Qt is installed to that non-existent hardcoded path.

Kai Koehne says:

Did you get any error while installing? The installer should have patched your Qt to match the installation directory, which apparently failed …

Please file a bug report to bugreports.qt-project.org, Project: Qt, Components: “Packaging & Installer”, and attach the InstallationLog.txt that should be in the installation root directory.

RealNC says:

Another problem with Creator on Qt 5 in general that’s still there (and is the reason I don’t actually use Creator 3.x at all, since this problem completely kills it for me), is the broken fonts. (I already posted this on the Creator mailing list.)

The fonts look “washed out” and lack blackness, making them tiring to
read. Here’s how fonts look in Creator 2.8.1:

and here’s how they look in 3.1.1:

JKSH says:

Does changing the colour scheme help? I find dark backgrounds with light text far less tiring.

Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> Fonts & Colors

RealNC says:

No, it doesn’t help. Font rendering stays broken regardless of color scheme.

gyll says:

Apart from the fact that you have two completely different implementations (and behavior) for the bookmarks in the code editor and the bookmarks in the help system in Creator (will this ever be changed???), this extremely annoying bug is still here since the dawn of time (oh, and nobody’s watching it except me): https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTCREATORBUG-10687

Alexis says:

Hello,

I have an installed application using 5.3.0.

When I try to install Qt 5.3.1 (Visual 2013 32bits OpenGL), the application can’t load: The Platform windows couldn’t be found or couldn’t be loaded. If I uninstall Qt, the application can work.

Alexis says:

I’ve tried to rename c:\Qt\5.3 to c:\Qt\5.3x. the application works.