Qt Creator 3.2 RC1 released

Published Tuesday August 5th, 2014 | by

We are happy to announce the Qt Creator 3.2 RC1 release today. Since the beta we have been busy fixing bugs. We encourage you to try this RC and give us feedback on its quality.

The beta blog post already mentioned a few new features such as “column editing”, but there are a lot more new features. To mention just a few:

• The file system locator filter ‘f’ can now be used to create new files.
  • More panes are searchable, e.g. the project tree.
  • The qbs plugin now supports adding and removing files from projects.
  • The C++ code model received a lot of fixes e.g. for editing lambdas.

While the majority of commits for Qt Creator come from Digia employees, I would like to highlight the work of Przemysław Gorszkowski, who fixed various bugs in the C++ code completion. For example, he fixed the find usages for members of a typedefed anonymous union. If you want to know what that is, take a look at the test case in the commit. Also, Orgad Shaneh contributed over 200 commits to this release.

This year is the 5th anniversary for Qt Creator. We released the 1.0 release in March of 2009. In those 5 years, over 35,000 commits by around 300 people were added. We added tons of support for Qt Quick – debugging, designing, profiling -, extended our platform support to Android, IOS, QNX and BareMetal. And we added and later removed support for Maemo, Meego and Symbian. We rewrote parts of the C++ code model multiple times, added refactoring support on top and switched major Qt versions. We built the Qt SDK, later Nokia SDK and now again Qt SDK around Qt Creator. Yet, we are still using the same versioning scheme. :) It’s been exciting 5 years. We will continue providing the best cross platform IDE for Qt development.

The Open Source version is available from the Qt Project download page, while Enterprise customers find their package in the Qt Account Portal. Please report issues in our bug tracker. You also can find us on IRC on #qt-creator on irc.freenode.net, and on the Qt Creator mailing list.

Posted in QtCreator, Releases

15 comments to Qt Creator 3.2 RC1 released

suy says:

Congratulations on the team. I find myself still using Vim for lots of stuff, but for IDE-like functionality Creator is the only one I really like. Even cool non-necessarily Qt guys use it. :-)

Robin says:

Congrats !
I’ve been using Qt Creator since version 1.x and it’s now an amazing IDE.

gyll says:

Definitely getter better and better with each iteration

Bernd says:

Please fix the following issues:
Alt + a: Selects the whole document AND jumps to the beginning of the file. This is very annoying if you use Alt + a to indent the whole document. Or please change the behaviour of “Auto-indent selection” to “Auto-indent the complete document”.

The shortcut Strg + / (Toggle comment selection) does not work since ca. 2-3 versions of Qt Creator. I have tried to change the shortcut to another one but that changed nothing. Toggle comment does not work here on Xubuntu 14.04 via shortcut, I need to select it manually via the context menu.

Thanks!

Daniel Teske says:

Please report bugs via the bug tracker.

Tim says:

I assume you mean Ctrl+A, and that doesn’t jump to the start for me… Ctrl+/ (what is “strg”?) also works for me. Perhaps some other program is intercepting your shortcuts?

Bernd says:

Yes, you are right. I mean Strg + a and not Alt + a. Strg and Ctrl are the same, Ctrl is for English keyboards and Strg for German.
Strg + / is not working here (Qt Creator 3.1.1) but it works perfectly with the old Qt Creator 2.8.1.

When I pressing Strg + a in Qt Creator 3.2 RC1 and Beta it selects the whole text and jumps to the start of the document. This issue is not happen with Qt Creator 3.1.1 or earlier.

I will make a bug report.

HGH says:

Will this be release via the Qt Maintenance tool soon or only bundled with Qt 5.3.2 or later version?

SomethingStupid says:

Could you please add the ability to disable highlighting of Qt pseudo-keywords? I’m using Qt Creator for non Qt-projects, too, and it’s quite annoying when I can’t name my class’s methods “emit” without making the highlighting go crazy.

SomethingStupid says:

I’m talking about something like this: http://i.imgur.com/5hXtLvw.png

CJW says:

Hi, QTCreator, great product.
However one of the most annoying things to me is the file management and project management.
I cant drag files to a different folder, i have to manually remove and add the files back after moving it on the filesystem..
Also i have 3 projects basically 2 reusable projects, one is a pure header project that wraps some C libs. Then i have lib project that is my rendering/audio/file pipeline. And my final project that is the application. I found it to be difficult to get my app project to link to my lib project, which i had to do some confusing editing of the .pro file.

Eike Ziller says:

You can try the “Add library” wizard from the context menu on your apps project node in the project tree.

CJW says:

Just forgot to say that qtcreator has no sessions either. I mean when i open QTCreator i have to reopen all my projects and project trees files etc. to get back to where i left off. Thats one of the things that force me to use hibernation instead of reboots.

Leena Miettinen says:

Qt Creator does have sessions. You can learn more about managing them here:

Caravanio says:

Column text editing have broken pasting of column selected text. So, in the previous version if you have selected some columns of text and paste them somewhere, no rows of text are moved but column-copied text is merged with the text below the point of pasting. Now, if I select a single column of text that is 2 rows high:

case 1 (paste destination occupies one row):
… and paste it at an arbitrary point, the pasted text moves the text that starts from the point of pasting as many rows as the count of column-selected rows

case 2
… and paste it in a column-wise selection of the same amount of rows as the number of rows selected during the copy procedure, then pasting is done as in the previous version of Qt Creator

case 3:
… and paste it in a destination that occupies more rows than the amount of the copy procedure, the pasting goes crazy – copied text is pasted multiple times

The new pasting behavior is highly unintuitive.