Qt Creator 3.2.0 released

Published Tuesday August 19th, 2014 | by

We are happy to announce the Qt Creator 3.2.0 release today. This release adds many smaller and larger features, as well as fixing bugs. A few examples:

• Block selections in text editors now allow you to do “column editing”, meaning that all selected lines are edited simultaneously (Qt Creator Manual)
  • Context help can now be configured to open in an external window (without disabling Help mode)
  • Support for C99 designated initializers and concatenated strings was added to the C++ code model, as well as improvements to encoding handling and lambda support and many other things
  • More panes are now searchable with Ctrl+F, for example the project tree
  • The QML profiler received many performance and stability improvements again

Enterprise Qt Creator users can now also use the QML profiler to debug their JavaScript memory usage in QML. (This is only available when using Qt 5.4 for the debugged application.)

Also have a look at our change log, for a more complete overview. I also want to thank the more than 50 contributors to this version of Qt Creator.

You find the opensource version on the Qt Project download page, and Enterprise packages on the Qt Account Portal. Please post issues in our bug tracker. You also can find us on IRC on #qt-creator on irc.freenode.net, and on the Qt Creator mailing list.

Note: With Qt Creator 3.2 we drop support for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). The technical reason for this is that Apple does not support any kind of C++11 on that OS version. Of course that does not affect on which platforms you can run your Qt applications on. But it is not possible to run the Qt Creator 3.2 binaries on 10.6, and it also is not possible to compile Qt Creator 3.2 on 10.6 with the tool chains provided by Apple.

Posted in Qt, QtCreator, Releases

43 comments to Qt Creator 3.2.0 released

Alan says:

FWIW, I tried, using the maintenance tool, to upgrade my copy of Qt Creator from version 3.1.2 to version 3.2.0 on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and it all worked fine. However, Qt Creator 3.2.0 crashes every time I try to run it. I then manually replaced it with https://download.qt-project.org/official_releases/qtcreator/3.2/3.2.0/qt-creator-opensource-mac-x86_64-3.2.0.dmg and now it’s all fine…

Eike Ziller says:

There seems to be a problem with the update sometimes not removing old files. We have disabled the online update for now, and are working on a fix.

Alan says:

It looks like it might have been the case for me. Before manually replacing Qt Creator 3.2.0, I noticed that the ‘updated’ version was from April this year, as well as roughly twice the size of the ‘manual’ version.

HGH says:

I updated with the Maintenance tool on Windows and it works :) Does that mean we would need to re-updated or to reinstall later?

Eike Ziller says:

If it worked for you while it still was online, everything should be working fine, even when we re-publish the update again.

Salim Hlayel says:

Same issue on Windows 7 64 bit version with the following error:

Failed to lead core:G:\Qt_Mobile\Tools\QtCreator\lib\qtcreator\plugins\QtProject\Core.dll

Regards.
Salim

HGH says:

I have no issues on the same platform for now.

HGH says:

It would have been nice if you have explained how to use column editing. I figured out that alt+click creates a cursors.

Eike Ziller says:

I have added a link to the documentation now, thanks

David Weisgerber says:

This is no problem – even in KDE. It works for me in IntelliJ if I have click first and then hold Alt.

I think it is great to have this feature at least, it is really useful!

gyll says:

Honestly guys, what on earth was so complicated to add a “Find…” right-click menu item in the project explorer (and where ever else you have this functionality added). As for the column editing option, i just can’t find it, i looked for it in the Edit->Advanced menu and in the editor’s right-click menu but there’s nothing there. Please, don’t give me “Creator is for people who can handle such a complex tool” kind of answer (got this sort of replies before), just put these nice features have somewhere both old and new users can easily find them. Creator is a *wonderful* IDE, don’t undermine its growth potential with such little annoying things, it would be a pity

Eike Ziller says:

We disagree on what should be in context menus and what not. We simply do not want context menus the height of the screen, because we think that this makes context menus unusable.

gyll says:

@Eike: i never said to make it the height of the screen, take a look at the Edit->advanced” sub-menu, or at the “Edit->Find/replace” sub-menu, etc, if those are not too high then neither the editor’s Edit menu nor the Project explorer pop-up menu won’t be too high. What i can fully agree with you upon is to sort the menu items, from top to bottom, based on your average Joe’s usage patterns (you pick your Joe), but these items should be there in plain sight none-the-less. Eike, please, be reasonable, there are *many* context menu power users out there using Creator.

gyll says:

…and also, there’s the xcode context menu here http://static.tonyarnold.com/xcode-context-menu-sort-files-by-name.png , the MSVC context menu here http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-01-15-70-metablogapi/6545.clip_5F00_image006_5F00_thumb_5F00_6E60FF38.jpg , and last but not least there’s Creator’s own file explorer context menu (in the side bar) which already has 12 menu items and 2 separators, and it’s perfectly useful, as large as it may be.

PS
I’m not the enemy

abcPlus says:

About VS context menu, you are referring to a C# project. Try to compare a C++ project with QT VS Add-in (so a working environment similar to QT Creator) : http://i58.tinypic.com/ade2de.png :-)

gyll says:

Forgot to say it: I’ll file a suggestion for this, but please, please, don’t close it with “not needed/out of scope/etc”, these little usability things really *are* important

gyll says:

Find in project explorer: I updated this suggestion here https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTCREATORBUG-12845

Column select: i can’t think of a way to add a “real” menu item for it since this is not a modal feature in Creator, but what i would do is to place a “Block select” menu item in the “Edit->Advanced” main menu, and once clicked i’d show a dialog box explaining that this is obtained by also holding down the Alt key (agree, this might be an overkill, but since it would make users aware of the feature all while costing next to nothing to implement i’d do it :)

a_user says:

Hello.
I really enjoy QtCreator and have made it my C++ IDE of choice on whatever OS I am working. I use it intensively on a daily basis and eagerly anticipated the release of v3.2.0.
However, after I installed it today, I almost immediately noticed a strange bug with the Locator functionality: whenever I execute my keyboard shortcut for ‘Find files in project’, QtCreator becomes unresponsive and hangs indefinitely. However, if I click in the Locator’s search field and type in, everything works fine.
This is a feature I use all of the time and working around it by using the mouse each time I need to locate a file is frustrating. Not to mention that this slows me down a lot.
I’d very much appreciate it if you could recommend a solution to this issue if such exists, or at least take the bug into consideration and fix it for the next release.
Thank you in advance for your efforts into making such a wonderful instrument. Keep up the good work.

Eike Ziller says:

Please create a bug report with the detail on how to reproduce (I’ve never seen that before), and if possible with a backtrace of where it hangs.

Ulrich Schwab says:

Alt Key to select is not useable on KDE!
Alt Enables Keyboard Naviagtion of the menu.
Alt Click is moving the window.
AFAIK these are standard KDE settings.
Why not a rectangle block selection mode?

Bernd says:

> Alt Click is moving the window.
The same problem on Xubuntu.

Works CTRL+A for you correctly? Here on Xubuntu it selects the whole text and jumps to the top of the document. The shortcut CTRL+/ (toggle comments) has also stopped working. Does it work on KDE?

Mykola Krachkovsky says:

Ctrl+A jumps to top.
Ctrl+/ works fine for me (usual slash, not numpad one).
Ctrl+Home doesn’t work at all (Ctrl+End works).

Ulrich Schwab says:

First click, then press Alt is the workaround for me.
@Mykola: Thanks!

Alt+A (select all) and Ctrl+/ (toggle comment) work as configured.
Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End work too.

CJW says:

Yeah the alt key. I have changed it in KDE to the meta key, which should be default imho. But i think it is kinda strange to completely ignore the biggest QT desktop out there and its default settings.

Mykola Krachkovsky says:

Agree. As workaround: press alt after mouse button is pressed.

Andrej says:

Qt Maintenance tool offers me only to update to Qt Creator 3.1.2. When will it realize that 3.2.0 is available?

Eike Ziller says:

please see the second comment on this page (I’ll also add a comment to the post)

Constantine says:

>>«But it is not possible to run the Qt Creator 3.2 binaries on 10.6, and it also is not possible to compile Qt Creator 3.2 on 10.6 with the tool chains provided by Apple.»

I am very curious: what the C++11 had such that whole operating system doesn’t support it; and why you use some strange toolchains of Apple instead of GCC?

Eike Ziller says:

We use the “natively provided” tool chains on all platforms by default (Windows/MSVC, Linux/GCC, OSX/Apple-Clang), I don’t see anything weird or strange with that.

Why Apple does not support C++11 on 10.6 or earlier, you’ll have to ask Apple ;) . Technically, 10.6 and earlier just do not provide the necessary libc++. In principle, you can compile your own GCC or Clang based toolchain (or use MacPorts et al), and then deploy and ship all the necessary libs (including your libc++) with your application. I hear that people do that, but haven’t tried myself.

Constantine says:

Sorry that I didn’t answered at once. So, you say that you use Apple’s toolchain instead of GCC. But you are comlain that this toolchain deprecated, it doesn’t even support C++11. And take a look into GCC — it supports C++1y, it is actively grows, it have crazy number of optimization options, and relatively late here’s appeared an extremely cool option -flto (stands for link-time-optimization), which to my surprise almost nobody yet uses(btw, do you?).
So, on the one side is deprecated toolchain of Apple, on the other side is excelent and wide GCC. Tell me, what was the reasons to use the first one?

Eike Ziller says:

There is a misunderstanding. Apple’s provided toolchain is not deprecated (it is a recent Clang). Clang is an excellent tool chain with great features that is actively developed. I did not complain, I only explained. Aside from that, Apple’s support for 10.6 ended beginning this year, with latest security fixes released end of last year, so from my point of view it is reasonable enough, that new versions of Qt Creator do not run on it.

Anatoliy says:

Why we drop Qt Application HTML5? How restore this on Create project?

Where is the update for Linux? I can not find it in the Maintenance Tool.

Constantine says:

https://download.qt-project.org/official_releases/qtcreator/3.2/3.2.0/qt-creator-opensource-linux-x86_64-3.2.0.run 64x version, and
https://download.qt-project.org/official_releases/qtcreator/3.2/3.2.0/qt-creator-opensource-linux-x86-3.2.0.run 32x version.

Thank you. Some comments above someone reported that he used the Maintenance Tool on OSX to fetch the update. Not sure why it is not available yet from there for Linux.

Eike Ziller says:

See “Update” at the end of the post, and second comment on this page.

Vladimir Silchanka says:

Why there is no side menu in external help window ?
I used to always keep the documentation on my second screen. Now I cannot do that because it doesn’t have a menu O can navigate.

When the problems will be short out comes with the update?

batguano says:

I can’t get 3.2 to work on OSX mavericks, even when installing from the manual download. I get an error that says, “The following plugins have errors and can’t be loaded: ClangCodeModel”

/Developer/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/libClangCodeModel.dylib: Cannot load library /Developer/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/libClangCodeModel.dylib: (dlopen(/Developer/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/libClangCodeModel.dylib, 5): Library not loaded: @rpath/libclang.dylib
Referenced from: /Developer/Qt/Qt Creator.app/Contents/PlugIns/libClangCodeModel.dylib
Reason: image not found)

After hitting “Continue”, most of the IDE functions won’t work…

Eike Ziller says:

Sorry for that bug. The snapshot https://download.qt-project.org/snapshots/qtcreator/3.2.1/latest/ now has a fix

Jens says:

Relatively often the 3.2.0 partly freezes up on me. The editor and output pane does not accept keystrokes or mouse clicks. Luckily, I can use the menu with the mouse, so I can quit and restart quickly. I haven’t discovered what causes this, but it’s annoying enough for me to come here and whine about it. I.e., pretty annoying…

Jens says:

Followup: I run (from withing qt-creator) my app, which sets up and start a simple web server, the output of which I interact with in a local Chrome browser instance. Then I stop the application (red box on app output pane), I refresh the Chrome tab (in order to stop a flow of error messages due to the server being stopped) and then it happens. Must now restart qt-creator.

Eike Ziller says:

The online update has now been released as well. First the online installer will update itself. If you get a warning about a broken installation after the online installer restart, you unfortunately need to reinstall your whole Qt installation. This is due to a bug in the online installer that was released a while ago, which lead to installations which cannot uninstall any packages (and therefore breaks updates as well).